shoplifting and I-485

aGCwaiter

Help!

I was caught shoplifting (stupid me!) for $11.71 in a store and will have to appear before a judge. How is this going to impact my GC application? My I-485 was sumitted last year. I have never been arrested before. The police told me that I would probably get a CWOF which I should not worry. I doubt it is that simple since INS is relatively strict in these matters.

Here are the questions:

1). What's the impact? Will my GC be denied because of this?

2). Since my I-485 has been filed last Sep., should I tell INS this incident?

3). How should I handle the judge? I already admitted to the store guard. Can I plead for diversion so that I don't get a record?

4). Were I arrested? Was that a arrest record?

I'm really worried now. I realize that my stupid behavior has put my family here at risk

I contacted a lawyer for an email consultation and guess what? $400 for
it? Should I spend the money?

Will appreciate any help?

--StupidMe.

Here is onelink that I found on this site:

<http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ght=shoplifting

Last edited by a moderator:
You come all the way here with a respectable job and look what you have done to yourself, Mr Chor.

What & Why were you shoplifting?

First thing

Do Not make it public
like taking help of lawer..... they will harrase you unnecessarily

Do not accept that you did it At any time in the court:D:D PEROID
You could also be adament in this matter.

You just say your intention was ALWAYS to purchase that thing - and you forgot to show it at sales counter.

thats Okay, but

what the heck idiot .... you did it...
Don't you have enough bread to feed family ?? If so go to near by temple :D:D

How can you show your face to your family daily?
This will haunt you - for th erest of your life. ENJOY :D:D

desichoraNo1 : does this matter?

aGCwaiter: Do what ever you can so that there is no record. if they took you to police station they take finger prints and now all the agencies from FBI, CIa to local law enforcement agencies talk. So consult attorney. you have to pay the big price now (lawyer's fee etc...)

Good luck

I am sure you will never do it again

Good You Posted it

Its good of you , u shared ur experience with us. Only thing we can do is pray god for you so that nothing bad will happen to you because of this.
Who ever read this mail will be having a knowledge about the consequences of unnecessary tension.

I read the information in Murthy.com (from the link some one posted above) and based on that here is what i suggest :
1. Plead guilty. Promise them that you will never do this again.
Tell them that you are ashamed of your act and you fully
confess your mistake. Tell them that you have done it due to
momentary weekness. Tell them that if you if you ever do it
again, they can give you what ever severe punishment they
want to give you.
Finally plead the judge to consider your pending GreenCard
application, while giving his judgement. Use these exact words and i am sure that the judge will let you off with the simplest possible punishment which will not affect your GC.

Going for a Lawyer for this case will be too costly(also he is of little help when you are pleading guilty).

I sympathise with you and i wish you all the best in your court case.

Factions are not fun

BankeBihari,

Leave the guy alone. As such he confessed and is repentant. Why do you want to break up the harmony we have here and introduce factions ? Let us all maintain our sanity and not try to sound off on one other. Peace .... man ....

Originally posted by BankeBihari2003
People like you sould be thirown out off thiz lend.
You bring dishonour to rest of North indians. Incase if you are from south then it runs in culture there...
Hope, judge imposes severest penalties under the law to you.

What you have done may be intentional or unintentional. So, dont loose your temper unlike BIHARI moran and focus only on how to resolve the problem. Past is past and dont blame yourself about what you have done like uneducated Bihari. Be proud of being an Indian as many of our indian friends understand your problem and giving the right solutions.

hi all

I need your help regarding this matter,please response everyone.

On form , one question was "Have you ever been arrested,cited or detained by law enforcement officer for any reason?"

How many forum members mention the "Minor Traffic Ticket" such as REd light cross, speeding ticket, no right turn" ?

please response everyone in this forum.

thank you for your response ,

regards

kogan

Do not worry ! One crime is not problem

Hi aGCwaiter,

Do not worry. Be confident. I know only one crime is allowed
for AOS ( only one crime that's It )
talk to attorney .better go for plea guily and they reduce the charge. I have a question did you arrested for that?
Let me know I have a good attorney who is deling with deportation and criminal cases for Immigration related
he is an immigration expert.

Hope for the best.

Guys,

Lets stop the tirade about regions once and for all. We should be more worried about getting a GreenCard, than deciding which region is more crime/rogue oriented. I guess Bihari, now understands and thats why there are no more replies from him. :) Stop bantering him as well and lets "focus".

As far as the petty crime goes, I have reason to believe, that since the price was trivial, the best way out is to state for momentary weakness and ask for forgiveness. Most humanitarian folks tend to let go .... , but that is just my humble opinion.

Kogan1,

Please open a new thread if you are expecting any information. I don't think you got to mention about traffic violations when you are applying for any immigration forms unless you were arrested and had major offenses.

aGCWaiter,

Just ignore this moron Bihari.. Act accordingly and either way plead judge about your GC and request him for a less punishment.

Just try to control yourself to your best or let your spouse guide you to help you get over this problem called "KLEPTOMANIA" which is just a morbid compulsion to steal in many people and not you alone, not from any economic motive, but simply because the urge to take another's possession is irresistable.

Good luck to you..

Kleptomania !!!

GC Boss !

I wonder why you're not a lawyer :). Thats a very good idea, and since it is a condition, it does carry some symapthy as well ...

I don't think mentioning KLEPTOMANIA will be beneficial here. It basically means "I been stealing left right and center, whenever I get the chance, all the while I was in America."
While it is an argument, saying you will never steal again isn't going to cut it with the judge if you even breath the word KLEPTOMANIA.

If you don't have kleptomania - do NOT mention it.
Telling a lie to a judge is even worse than the theft itself!