Sharing my parents GC Interview experience (AOS in SF)

vivek.gupta765

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
just wanted to share the GC interview experience of my parents this month (filed for AOS in San Francisco). Even though the apptmt times were 30min apart, both were called in together. The IO was very nice and cooperative. The first thing he asked was where your son (sponsor) was. My parents said he is at work, IO didnt ask any further, but I think it might be a good idea for the sponsor to go as well.

Then, he went over the forms first for Mom and then Dad. He asked for Drivers License of both (my parents have had DL). He asked for Adv Parole docs to be returned. More Qs he asked were:
then he asked what is your son doing and where is he. he asked date of birth my son and his designation and his marriage date also.
-how many times did you get married. how many children do you have.
-any other children beyond this marriage.
-the phone # given in the form- he asked if it is cell or home phone.
-Do you work?
-he asked for date of birth and date of birth of the spouse.
-he asked few questions of I-485--- have you ever been arrested--- been member of any org etc.etc?
-He asked if we had infulenza shot in the medical checkup. My Mom said said no bec. it was not available and doctor said that he will write in the form that it was not available then.
-do you have SSN #?
-he asked for date of marriage.

Then, he gave form G-325-A to be filled up. We had not submitted this w/ the app (we didnt know). This form asks for last 5 yrs of work and residence history, so pl remember all the dates. IO actually helped them fill the form.

The interview lasted 25min total for both. IO was very cordial. He finally gave the approval form.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Congrats to your parents and thanks for sharing! I'm getting ready for my parents interview next week.

No problem. Here's a quick repost that I posted on another thread:

"Both of my parents had their interview in L.A. today, and everything went very well. IO was extremely courteous and friendly, and just went though the paperwork again, step-by-step. My mom's fingerprints turned out to be unreadable even after her second fingerprinting, so we had to dash out and get her police clearance letter, which wasn't a particularly straightforward procedure in LA, but were able to bring it back to the IO the same day, who afterwards gave both parents their respective approval notices. Total success! I'm happy I came with them (had to fly back in for a day from vacation travels in Asia), since IO ended up asking me more questions than I expected. Relieved and happy it's all over..."

Let me know if there's anything particular I could answer. For the most part, it was going over the forms page-by-page, confirming signatures here and there. We caught another name spelling mistake that was corrected on site. That's about it. The only "surprise" was that my mom's second set of fingerprints failed. That wasn't really a surprise, because I've seen that happen so many times -- if one fingerprint fails, chances are good the second ones fail as well. I told my mom to go to a police station in LA before hand to get that done, but the LA police will actually *not* file a background check, unless there's a written order from immigration. They will do a background check on any permanent resident or citizen, but not on any other status unless requested by USCIS, and obviously my parents weren't yet permanent residents. But all worked out!

Thanks for sharing! Are your parents here with visitor visa before GC? Any questions towards why applying GC with visitor visa?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for sharing! Are your parents here with visitor visa before GC? Any questions towards why applying GC with visitor visa?

No, we didn't get any questions. My parents had lived in the US for many, many years previously, then had been back in their home country for a few years, to later come back to the US with a visitor visa -- and at that point decided to stay and found it to be just easier to stay to get the green card done right then and there. They filed about 4 weeks after arriving with no questions to the fact.