• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Sharing my experience from Start to Finish

I just received my Visa via DV lottery. I would like to share my experience from start to finish. Since I am sharing more than just my interview experience, I am not going to post this to the thread dedicated for interview experience. Brace yourself; this is going to be LONG.

2014 October:

I entered the 2016DV lottery. It took me about an hour to get the pictures and the application ready. I wasn't expecting to win, and did not alter any of my plans because I understand that the chance of winning is very low. So after I fill out the application, life goes on from there.

2015 May:

I went online to check my result. Like many of the participants, I wasn't able go on the website for a long time. Mine just kept saying "Session timeout". Again I wasn’t expecting to win, so I didn’t get my hopes up and I knew I wasn’t going to be sad even if I wasn’t selected because that is to be expected, but as many of you know, "Session timeout" in DV2016 means you have been selected, and what do you know? I have been randomly selected for further processing in DV2016. I was happy of course, but I think I was more confused than happy. What do I do next? is my number good enough?? etc. But good thing I found this forum and SusieQQ and Britsimon have been very helpful^_^ thanks you 2.

After doing some research online, I know what to expect. I fill out the DS-260 form and all I gotta do now is wait. One thing worth noting is that since I am born in the UK and hold a UK passport, I am entering the lottery using my mother's place of birth Hong Kong. So when I fill out my DS-260 form I used my Hong Kong passport instead of my UK passport.(Another reason being my UK passport was expired at the time when I will out the DS260 form.) I was confused which passport I should use, but I was thinking if I am going to be charged to Hong Kong, I think I should be okay if I put only my Hong Kong passport on DS-260.(More on this later during the interview.

As for the evident to proof that my parents were not residing in the UK at the time of my birth. The only thing I was able to obtain their old passport with UK entry stamp, but those passports were issued a few years after my birth because they weren’t able to find the old passport with UK entry stamps at the time of my birth.

After submitting that I had 2 main concerns regarding my case. Foreign State Changeability and Public Charge. Foreign state changeability is kind of a confusing one. I had to find evident to proof both of my parents were not born in the UK and were not legally residing in the UK at the time of my birth. If they were anything more than temporary visitors, I would be disqualified according to the foreign chargeability section of the DV2016 instruction. Proofing my mom's place of birth was easy enough; I just have to borrow her official Hong Kong birth certificate. At the end, I took as much as they can find and hoping that they are enough.

For my second concern "Public Charge", I am in my mid 20s with nothing much to show for. No assets not nearly enough cash in the bank to proof that I won’t become the public charge. So here is the point where I make changes to my life due to plans to move to the US. I moved back home to live rent free, while taking full time job. The goal is to make enough money to put into my bank account before the interview to satisfy the public charge requirement.

2015 Nov

In November of 2015, the Visa bulletin shows that my case number is current. On Nov 22nd, I received an email from noreply@state.gov telling me to login using my confirmation number. This is the 2NL every winner is desperately waiting for. In the letter, it has my interview date, location and time, along with the usual personal information. I immediately prepare all of my documents and schedule an appointment for medical exam. One thing to note is that for my particular immigration physician, I will an interview date and a 2NL letter first before I can even make an appointment for medical. I am not sure if this is the case for all applicants.

I have done some research and calculation, and realized that the money on my account probably isn't enough to satisfy the public charge requirement. Luckily my Friend in the US is willing to sign the I-134 Affidavit of support form for me. I also asked him for an employment letter and W2 tax form just in case.

2015 Dec

This is the month before my interview at the consulate. I scheduled my medical on Dec 22nd. I was surprise how much documents I have to bring to the doctor. 4 passport size pictures (2 extra for the visa interview, so 6 in total.)my passports, print out of my 2NL letter, and my vaccination record... etc. After some simple medical check up by the doctor, I also took a blood test and X-ray. The result was available 2 days later. They gave me a packet that I am not supposed to open, and I have to take that to the interview.

2016 Jan

A few days before my interview, the consulate sent me and email reminding me of what I have to bring to the consulate. On the day of the interview, I stood outside the consulate for about 15 minutes, and then I went inside to go through a security check point; much like an airport security check point with trays to put my stuff in and then I went through an X-ray machine juts like the one at the airport.

After some wait time, I got a call to go to the window. At the first window, the officer asked me for my documents. When she asked me for my passport, I gave her my Hong Kong passport; the one I have on DS260 which is what she should see on her file, but she replied with "you were born in the UK?" I answered yes, and then she asked if I have my UK passport. Luckily I decide to renew my UK passport a month before the interview and bring it with me to the consulate. She told me that since I am a "native" of UK she will have to put my Visa on the UK passport, but she is going to keep my Hong Kong passport as well because that’s what they have on file.

And then here comes the nervous part. She asked me for the proof of immigration status in the UK of my parents at the time of my birth. Like I mentioned above, I only old passport of my parents issued to them a few years after my birth with UK entry stamp on it. As well as my mother’s birth certificate. I am nervous because I didn't know if those are enough. After she received every document, she took my fingerprints and sent me off to pay for the 330$.

After waiting for about 30-45 minutes, I got a call to go to another window. This time it is the actual CO behind the glass. He seems nice, we said hi good morning to each other almost simultaneously. After the oath, the interview begins.

The question he asked includes.

-How long have you been living in the UK and Hong Kong?

-How long did your mother stay in the UK after giving birth?

-What am I currently doing?

-Have you ever been to the US?

Some very simple questions

After that, he said "everything looks good!" I was relieved and surprise at the same time, because I clearly did not have enough evidence to proof my parent’s immigration status. He then took my UK passport and returns my Hong Kong passport to me. Before I leave he reminds me to register for the Courier service so they can send me my passport with the visa in it back.

About a week later I received an email to go pick up my passport. Inside is the package is my passport with the immigrant visa attached to it, a sealed “do not open” packet and a “Welcome to the United States of America” instruction sheet.

Currently I have returned to Hong Kong after activating my Visa at the port of entry. It has been almost 3 weeks (15 business day), and I am still waiting for me SSN and Green card to arrive at my friend’s US address.

Personal Thoughts

From my experience, I’ve learnt that preparation is the key here. You always have to have that “it’s better to have it than not to have it, just in case” mentality. Had I not renew my UK passport and bring it to my interview, things could be different. Especially for DV winners, we don’t have a lot of time to correct our errors. If we can’t get our visa by September in that fiscal year, our case will be closed. It doesn’t matter what the reason is, even if it’s the consulate’s fault. (From what I read on the forum, somebody can confirm this, but I am 100% sure.)

Also, I don’t think they the consular officers are there to challenge you and set you up for failure. You are there to get your visa and they are there to give you a visa. They will go through everything make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements, but it is nothing like the court room where you are the plaintiff and they are the defendant and you have to provide solid evidence to proof your story.

In my case I had no solid evidence to proof my parent’s immigration status at the time of my birth. What I had simply shows that my story is likely to be true and the CO had no reason to believe otherwise.

Of course every case is different, so again, have that mentality of “it’s better to have it than not to have it, just in case”. Gather whatever you can get, and if you don’t have solid proof, then you just have to make oral declaration and make the CO believe that your story is likely to be true. AND NEVER LIE!

That’s it for now. If I can think of anything else, I will add it on here later. Likewise, if you have any questions about my experience, please feel free to leave a reply. Best of luck everyone.

I just received my Visa via DV lottery. I would like to share my experience from start to finish. Since I am sharing more than just my interview experience, I am not going to post this to the thread dedicated for interview experience. Brace yourself; this is going to be LONG.

2014 October:

I entered the 2016DV lottery. It took me about an hour to get the pictures and the application ready. I wasn't expecting to win, and did not alter any of my plans because I understand that the chance of winning is very low. So after I fill out the application, life goes on from there.

2015 May:

I went online to check my result. Like many of the participants, I wasn't able go on the website for a long time. Mine just kept saying "Session timeout". Again I wasn’t expecting to win, so I didn’t get my hopes up and I knew I wasn’t going to be sad even if I wasn’t selected because that is to be expected, but as many of you know, "Session timeout" in DV2016 means you have been selected, and what do you know? I have been randomly selected for further processing in DV2016. I was happy of course, but I think I was more confused than happy. What do I do next? is my number good enough?? etc. But good thing I found this forum and SusieQQ and Britsimon have been very helpful^_^ thanks you 2.

After doing some research online, I know what to expect. I fill out the DS-260 form and all I gotta do now is wait. One thing worth noting is that since I am born in the UK and hold a UK passport, I am entering the lottery using my mother's place of birth Hong Kong. So when I fill out my DS-260 form I used my Hong Kong passport instead of my UK passport.(Another reason being my UK passport was expired at the time when I will out the DS260 form.) I was confused which passport I should use, but I was thinking if I am going to be charged to Hong Kong, I think I should be okay if I put only my Hong Kong passport on DS-260.(More on this later during the interview.

As for the evident to proof that my parents were not residing in the UK at the time of my birth. The only thing I was able to obtain their old passport with UK entry stamp, but those passports were issued a few years after my birth because they weren’t able to find the old passport with UK entry stamps at the time of my birth.

After submitting that I had 2 main concerns regarding my case. Foreign State Changeability and Public Charge. Foreign state changeability is kind of a confusing one. I had to find evident to proof both of my parents were not born in the UK and were not legally residing in the UK at the time of my birth. If they were anything more than temporary visitors, I would be disqualified according to the foreign chargeability section of the DV2016 instruction. Proofing my mom's place of birth was easy enough; I just have to borrow her official Hong Kong birth certificate. At the end, I took as much as they can find and hoping that they are enough.

For my second concern "Public Charge", I am in my mid 20s with nothing much to show for. No assets not nearly enough cash in the bank to proof that I won’t become the public charge. So here is the point where I make changes to my life due to plans to move to the US. I moved back home to live rent free, while taking full time job. The goal is to make enough money to put into my bank account before the interview to satisfy the public charge requirement.

2015 Nov

In November of 2015, the Visa bulletin shows that my case number is current. On Nov 22nd, I received an email from noreply@state.gov telling me to login using my confirmation number. This is the 2NL every winner is desperately waiting for. In the letter, it has my interview date, location and time, along with the usual personal information. I immediately prepare all of my documents and schedule an appointment for medical exam. One thing to note is that for my particular immigration physician, I will an interview date and a 2NL letter first before I can even make an appointment for medical. I am not sure if this is the case for all applicants.

I have done some research and calculation, and realized that the money on my account probably isn't enough to satisfy the public charge requirement. Luckily my Friend in the US is willing to sign the I-134 Affidavit of support form for me. I also asked him for an employment letter and W2 tax form just in case.

2015 Dec

This is the month before my interview at the consulate. I scheduled my medical on Dec 22nd. I was surprise how much documents I have to bring to the doctor. 4 passport size pictures (2 extra for the visa interview, so 6 in total.)my passports, print out of my 2NL letter, and my vaccination record... etc. After some simple medical check up by the doctor, I also took a blood test and X-ray. The result was available 2 days later. They gave me a packet that I am not supposed to open, and I have to take that to the interview.

2016 Jan

A few days before my interview, the consulate sent me and email reminding me of what I have to bring to the consulate. On the day of the interview, I stood outside the consulate for about 15 minutes, and then I went inside to go through a security check point; much like an airport security check point with trays to put my stuff in and then I went through an X-ray machine juts like the one at the airport.

After some wait time, I got a call to go to the window. At the first window, the officer asked me for my documents. When she asked me for my passport, I gave her my Hong Kong passport; the one I have on DS260 which is what she should see on her file, but she replied with "you were born in the UK?" I answered yes, and then she asked if I have my UK passport. Luckily I decide to renew my UK passport a month before the interview and bring it with me to the consulate. She told me that since I am a "native" of UK she will have to put my Visa on the UK passport, but she is going to keep my Hong Kong passport as well because that’s what they have on file.

And then here comes the nervous part. She asked me for the proof of immigration status in the UK of my parents at the time of my birth. Like I mentioned above, I only old passport of my parents issued to them a few years after my birth with UK entry stamp on it. As well as my mother’s birth certificate. I am nervous because I didn't know if those are enough. After she received every document, she took my fingerprints and sent me off to pay for the 330$.

After waiting for about 30-45 minutes, I got a call to go to another window. This time it is the actual CO behind the glass. He seems nice, we said hi good morning to each other almost simultaneously. After the oath, the interview begins.

After that, he said "everything looks good!" I was relieved and surprise at the same time, because I clearly did not have enough evidence to proof my parent’s immigration status. He then took my UK passport and returns my Hong Kong passport to me. Before I leave he reminds me to register for the Courier service so they can send me my passport with the visa in it back.

About a week later I received an email to go pick up my passport. Inside is the package is my passport with the immigrant visa attached to it, a sealed “do not open” packet and a “Welcome to the United States of America” instruction sheet.

Currently I have returned to Hong Kong after activating my Visa at the port of entry. It has been almost 3 weeks (15 business day), and I am still waiting for me SSN and Green card to arrive at my friend’s US address.

Personal Thoughts

From my experience, I’ve learnt that preparation is the key here. You always have to have that “it’s better to have it than not to have it, just in case” mentality. Had I not renew my UK passport and bring it to my interview, things could be different. Especially for DV winners, we don’t have a lot of time to correct our errors. If we can’t get our visa by September in that fiscal year, our case will be closed. It doesn’t matter what the reason is, even if it’s the consulate’s fault. (From what I read on the forum, somebody can confirm this, but I am 100% sure.)

Also, I don’t think they the consular officers are there to challenge you and set you up for failure. You are there to get your visa and they are there to give you a visa. They will go through everything make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements, but it is nothing like the court room where you are the plaintiff and they are the defendant and you have to provide solid evidence to proof your story.

In my case I had no solid evidence to proof my parent’s immigration status at the time of my birth. What I had simply shows that my story is likely to be true and the CO had no reason to believe otherwise.

Of course every case is different, so again, have that mentality of “it’s better to have it than not to have it, just in case”. Gather whatever you can get, and if you don’t have solid proof, then you just have to make oral declaration and make the CO believe that your story is likely to be true. AND NEVER LIE!

That’s it for now. If I can think of anything else, I will add it on here later. Likewise, if you have any questions about my experience, please feel free to leave a reply. Best of luck everyone.

Good information and good luck on been selected. I think the hardest part of this process is getting selected. The rest of things that happens, the majority is under your control if you do things correctly. Getting selected is out of everyone control.

Th

2014 October:

2015 May:

2015 Nov

2015 Dec

2016 Jan

Personal Thoughts

Thanx so much for sharing!! And Congratz on your Win! :)