Several TN questions

dudehello

Hi, under the TN Management Consultant profession, I am just graduating from a 4-yr Bachelors Degree in Business Administration. Apart from having a couple of internship experiences, I have no other work experience. However, I do have a job offer in the US. Can I be refused a TN visa based on the fact that I have no 'real' experience (the internships were related to business, but not to Management Consulting).

Are letters of reference from past employers necessary for TN visa like other documents are, or are any records of employment necessary if I'm going under a Bachelors Degree (meaning that no work experience is required)?

Also, while reading up on this forum it seems there's a difference between Ports of Entry (which are in the US) and preclearance locations (which are at Canadian airports). If flying out of a Canadian airport, do I just have to be cleared at the Canadian airport, or do I also have to go through some process in the US?

My degree isn't actually printed and mailed to me until a certain date, but I'd like to start my job in advance of that. However, all my completed marks will be on my official transcript. Is it still possible for me to go if I bring an official statement from my University's registrar stating that I have successfully completed all the requirements towards the Bachelors Degree in Business Administration and will receive the actual degree itself in 7-8 weeks?

While reading up on the requirements, it said the following is a TN requirement:
Proof of ability to meet applicable license requirements;
What does that mean?

Also, it said the following:
Proof of professional qualifications, such as transcripts of grades, licenses, certificates, degrees, and/or records of previous employment;
If I'd like to go under the Bachelors Degree status, then which of the above documents are absolutely necessary, and which are simply optional? (For example, if I bring transcripts, could I not bring degree. If I bring degree, could I not bring transcripts?)

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

dudehello said:
Can I be refused a TN visa based on the fact that I have no 'real' experience
If you have a 4 year degree that matches the TN category your applying for, then you won't need any reference letters. I'll let someine else answer to confirm if your degree qualifies for Management Consultant, but in my unprofessional opinion, it sounds like it does.

dudehello said:
If flying out of a Canadian airport, do I just have to be cleared at the Canadian airport, or do I also have to go through some process in the US?
If you fly out of a Canadian airport on an airline that has thier passengers cleared for customs / immigration at the Canadian airport, then you will not have anything else to do on the US side when you land. Most major airlines, and most major Canadian airports have pre-flight inspections. You can call the airport/airline to find out more details if you want to be sure. If you fly out of tiny airport (like St. Hubert, Quebec for example which has no US customs office on site) you'll be crossing customs/immigration at the US airport where you land. If you fly out of a regular airport like Pierre Elliott Trudeau in Montreal on a charter airline like Air Transat, then you'll also be crossing customs at the US Aiport where you land (I'm not sure why that happens, but I've flown Air Transat from Montreal many times and everytime I get cleared when I land, not in Canada). These of course are the exceptions to the rule and in most cases you'll be crossing at the PFI at the Canadian Airport.

dudehello said:
My degree isn't actually printed and mailed to me until a certain date, but I'd like to start my job in advance of that. However, all my completed marks will be on my official transcript. Is it still possible for me to go if I bring an official statement from my University's registrar stating that I have successfully completed all the requirements towards the Bachelors Degree in Business Administration and will receive the actual degree itself in 7-8 weeks?
You can try, but chances are that they won't approve you. They'll want to see the actual degree.

dudehello said:
Proof of ability to meet applicable license requirements;
What does that mean?
If you're applying in a medical profession for example, you'd need a license to practice medecine, and you'd need to prove you are eligible. In the case of Managment Consultant, you won't need a license.

dudehello said:
If I'd like to go under the Bachelors Degree status, then which of the above documents are absolutely necessary, and which are simly optional?
The rule of thumb with any process involving an immigration officer is that you can never be over-prepared for what the officer will ask you to present as proof to clarify something. Bring as much documentation with you as you can, and be ready for anything that could be pertinent to your situation. These officers are trained to deny you entry, so you need to have the proper documents to support your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for those great answers.

Do you know how compensation must be based in order to be eligible for the TN visa? For example, if you are officially a full-time employee of the American firm, but they offer to pay you only when you are staffed on a particular project (i.e. no pay for bench time -- which seems to be more indicative of a subcontractor role than anything else), are you still eligible under the TN visa?

Edit: They specify an annual full-time salary, but that's prorated based on the number of weeks you are actually staffed on a project...you don't get a paycheque the weeks you don't work.

Thanks.