served in foreign military 3-5 months every year while I was USA green card holder?

danny1968

I was required to fulfill my mandatory military service in my country of origin military. the country is an ally of the US since WWII.

because of my age, I was able to servce in a reserve capacity in order to fulfill my obigated 18 months of military service. for the last 5 year, which
is the entire length that I held a USA green card, I went back to my country and served for 3 to 5 months each year. as of the end of 2007, I have completely fulfilled my 18 months. the key here is that I was never out of the USA for more than 180 in any given year.

is anybody else in my same situation? I would like to know if this is going to affect my n400 naturalization request? should I list the military service every year under employement? if so, how do I explain this to U.S. CIS?

sorry I forget to add one more thing to my question as seen above

the reason I decided to go back and serve in my country's military is that I think it is ILLEGAL for me to serve in a foreign military once I become a Unitesd States citizen. so I did it while I was still only a USA green card holder resident.

If your country was in hostilities against the US, it might be a problem. But it's not.

So it shouldn't be an issue, because as a green card holder you are a citizen of another country and still fully obligated to that country. Serving in another country's military before being a US citizen is a lot less problematic than doing it after you've become a US citizen.

Yes, you need to list your military service during the past 5 years. The form itself says so.

Last edited by a moderator: