Separate bill/law/amendments for legal immigrants

for_ac21

Registered Users (C)
Hello all, I have seen a huge response to pursuing separate bill/law/amendments just for legals. CIR it seems is going nowhere any time soon and provisions for legals, stuck with it.

Wanted to start a new discussion, and see if we can act, preferably sooner.

If we have enough numbers, contributions, we can plan ahead.

I believe it will be too late to wait any longer.

Thank you.
ac

good idea

but I am not sure if we have the "mass" to press our case forward. It's always easier if the industry pleads our case. Remember last year nurses lobbied successfully to get some 50,000 visa's as schedule A workers. I read somewhere that there will be attempts to tag the immigrant visa number increase with a H1B increase bill.

any thoughts, anybody?

PHSESAaug

Yes. You are right. The key is only Industry can influence. It does not matter even if we have mass. Our expression of anguish and frustration falls short of selling...

What Immigartion Voice is doing. Can't they help??

I think we have ask Immigration Voice and similar organizarion to lobbying.

baby_mde

I believe they are doing nice job. It is ours if we feel it and we can contribute (Not only financially but debate and decisive thinking support) to make a subtle difference (but should not be guaranteed though). We need to be more organized in the form of such associations. Unity is a more civilized and social aware virtue. We all work hard and has intelectual powers. United we can make the difference not only solving problems but to contribete to our collective growth....

baby_mde said:

I would not waste my time and money on IV and its lobbyist. Look where the strategy took them... nowhere. A better approach might have been to push for a separate bill from the start... but I think IV was misguided.

baby_mde said:

Check this out from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/schofield/04-04testimony.mspx

PHSESAaug said:
but I am not sure if we have the "mass" to press our case forward. It's always easier if the industry pleads our case. Remember last year nurses lobbied successfully to get some 50,000 visa's as schedule A workers. I read somewhere that there will be attempts to tag the immigrant visa number increase with a H1B increase bill.

any thoughts, anybody?

Friends,

I am posting here after a long gap... I lost much of my optimism after the way the budgetory reconciliation bill was voted down by the conf committe last october... that was our best chance.

I felt from the begining that our cause will only suffer if we piggyback on illegal immigration amnesty.. This is a very controversial topic and there are strong emotions involved. It is unlikely that anything will happen with CIR for the rest of the year. There is a lame duck session of the house in Dec, but in all likelyhood, the decision will be done in Feb/March '07 by the new house of Reps. It will be too late if we pin our hopes on CIR again.

I think we should really unite and do our last bit of effort now. Most of us are waiting for 6 or 7 years already - we are educated professionals who deserve better than this. There is no hard feelings about legal immigrants anywhere, even those who oppose CIR do not say anything about legal immigrants. Even if they just recapture the lost seats and let everyone file for 485, that will be a great interim relief. I think we really need to work together and push for this. I know everyone is sick and tired of this process, but if we work together and get some good lobbyists we may be able to pull something. If we need to shell out some amout let us do it. How long will we wait in uncertainity like this? Comon guys..

I agree. I have against IV, but I called them right from the beginning and shared that it was a waste of time and resources lobbying for a bill that was already being pushed anyway. McCain/Kennedy and even more moderate senators such as Cornyn/Kyl, Hayworth came up with their bill including increase in visa numbers for EB applicants before IV existed.

Now you can say well, there is no way to come up with a bill for legal immigrants only. That is why we need to pay lobbysts. If lobbysts keep pushing the idea, one of these days pro amnesty senators may realize that pushing for amnesty at these times is not an easy ticket.

I just read yesterday that a strong senator in my State is now losing its advantage to a challenger, who is Republican.

jynger said:
I would not waste my time and money on IV and its lobbyist. Look where the strategy took them... nowhere. A better approach might have been to push for a separate bill from the start... but I think IV was misguided.

marlon2006 said:
I agree. I have against IV, but I called them right from the beginning and shared that it was a waste of time and resources lobbying for a bill that was already being pushed anyway. McCain/Kennedy and even more moderate senators such as Cornyn/Kyl, Hayworth came up with their bill including increase in visa numbers for EB applicants before IV existed.

Thanks for your "objective" analysis of IV, Marlon.

Maybe you should also post that you will not be helped by IV's direct goals right now. You are already in the 485 stage with EADs. Most of IV members want to get to the 485 stage. With CIR, there was no provision for filing for 485 even with visa number unavailability.

You should also post that you were vocally for a hard country cap, which will help you get a GC faster. For the record, it was IV's hard work that eliminated a misguided hard country cap on EB green cards. With a hard country cap, applicants from India, China, Mexico and Philippines with PDs of 2001 would have waited forever for green cards while people from Togo would waltz in with a PD of 2007.

In addition, with a hard country cap, unused EB green cards from all this wonderful legislation that you cite, would go right to unskilled categories.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your views

Hi,

Thank you for all your views...

Well said optimistguy...

Just a personal thought, that we should focus on one simple
objective here. For example.

"More visas for eb categories, eb3 especially"

One good thing leads to another, once we have "lot" of additional visas,
retrogression will be lifted automatically.

I think once we agree what we would like to accomplish, we can brain storm
how we can go about getting it done.

I am very happy that some of us are already express interest to contribute.
Keep posting...

ac

IV Bashers

What do you guys have to show for your efforts other than a few wretched words that suggest that legal immigration only bill is the way to go?

Before you make any allegations against IV remember that you have not spent a dime to make a difference and neither have you struggled personally for the cause of legal immigrants. All you have done is shamelessly expressed your opinion. So in future before you go on a rampage judging others first ask yourself "What I have done for legal immigrants and their cause?"

Purple, sorry if I came across as being critical. Whatever happen in the past doesn't matter anymore.

I have called senators, house of representatives, talk radio shows and I have said that we should need a separate relief bill to handle our cause. I know that is not easy to get.

purplehazea said:
What do you guys have to show for your efforts other than a few wretched words that suggest that legal immigration only bill is the way to go?

Before you make any allegations against IV remember that you have not spent a dime to make a difference and neither have you struggled personally for the cause of legal immigrants. All you have done is shamelessly expressed your opinion. So in future before you go on a rampage judging others first ask yourself "What I have done for legal immigrants and their cause?"

people want a seperate bill.........how about a bill only for EB3-India........because i am affected....and there are atleast 100k affected....which makes it a majority ....

only if we knew how the process works....and how difficult it is even to add one line to a bill.....

but i am no one to stop people from dreaming......but i expect some decency from these smart people....that atleast they dont take their frustration out at some volunteer organization......which is trying to do something with few thousand members and some paltry contributions.....

for the record: i am not a IV core member.....neither i have contributed (i have my reasons).........but i am observing them ever since they formed....and they look like a genuine group of volunteers trying to make a difference............and if they happen to be from one country..........too bad........its because that country has suffered the most during this retrogression....

Take it easy Techy, getting a bill for Indians only would be too granular.

techy2468 said:
people want a seperate bill.........how about a bill only for EB3-India........because i am affected....and there are atleast 100k affected....which makes it a majority ....

only if we knew how the process works....and how difficult it is even to add one line to a bill.....

but i am no one to stop people from dreaming......but i expect some decency from these smart people....that atleast they dont take their frustration out at some volunteer organization......which is trying to do something with few thousand members and some paltry contributions.....

for the record: i am not a IV core member.....neither i have contributed (i have my reasons).........but i am observing them ever since they formed....and they look like a genuine group of volunteers trying to make a difference............and if they happen to be from one country..........too bad........its because that country has suffered the most during this retrogression....

marlon.....i was just trying to point out how we are thinking in these days........we know what we want.......and so we cry for it......what we dont know is we may never get what we want in that form....

my take on this process....which i am repeating for the nth time................

legislation is a very long and uncertain route......2-3 years atleast.......and only if atleast 10k people are up for the cause.....

in IV....right now....only 200-300 volunteers are doing some work........around 1000 people have donated.........

and we are already talking about a new org or something.......with this attitude i am sure....it will take 10 years for anything to fruitify......

if you beleive in doing any acitivity to make GC process better.....my suggestion.....join hands with IV and make it more stronger.....i am sure they are nice people and they will welcome new help...

we knew this would happen

We knew past few months that visas will not be available close to aug.sept.
We knew CIR s.2611 is not going to help us.
We know going forward this will happen to next. generation of gc applicants.

Wanted to bring this subject again. Lets all join hands for separate
legislation for legals.

I support separate legislation only for legal immigrants. All legal immigrants fundamentally should be against any mix-ups and should vehemently oppose any bills or amnesty decisions those are impacting and blocking legal immigration process.

It is extremely hard to get legislation introduced into Congress. Ask the corporations - they spend 10s of millions! I think it is pretty much impossible to get legislation introduced to benefit a narrow group of immigrants unless you are able to hire several high-paid lobbyists etc. etc.

On another note - techy - you are over using the periods in your posts dude :)!