Sending Child to India

gcfinder

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

My in-laws are with me here in USA. They came on visitor visa.
We have a 2 year old kid who is US Citizen.

We want to send the kid along with our in-laws to India so that return back with them again in 6 months.

My question is: Will the officer at the port of entry create any problems while returning from India to USA saying that the kid is not accompanied with the parents etc? Someone said to me that for a minor, parents have to be with them.

Did anyone had any experience with this?

please advise.

thanks
gcfinder

Pure speculation:
I cannot imagine any scenario that an Officer at a US port of Entry can deny entry to a US Citizen whatever the circumstance.

The bigger question is whether the officer at the Indian port of embarkation will allow a child to travel with a person who is not a parent?

personally I think its allowed. But thats based on nothing more than conjecture and anecdotal evidence. so whatever I say is not reliable...:)

i still think its a looong time-out though...:)

Denial of entry is not the issue. The US citizen child will be let in upon returning.

The area of concern is whether the airline will allow the in-laws to carry the child. Sometimes when only one parent is traveling with a US citizen child, the airline will insist on proof that the other parent gave permission to take the child out of the US. With non-parents carrying the child it might be more difficult. You should call the airline and ask about their requirements for your situation. They might require a notarized letter or something like that. It would also help to be there at the airport when they are checking in the child.

The same problem also exists when leaving India with the child. In addition to the airline, the Indian customs or immigration officers (if they have exit controls in India) may have some requirements. So you need to contact the airlines both in the US and India.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to my firend , his son went to India with his in-laws 4 times and they never had any problem sofar. Except one time IO at SFO called his parents and verified about their relation. (in-laws and his son ).

He said for precaution " write a letter that your son is travelling with your in-laws with your permission. ".

Good luck:)

Gurus,

My in-laws are with me here in USA. They came on visitor visa.
We have a 2 year old kid who is US Citizen.

We want to send the kid along with our in-laws to India so that return back with them again in 6 months.

My question is: Will the officer at the port of entry create any problems while returning from India to USA saying that the kid is not accompanied with the parents etc? Someone said to me that for a minor, parents have to be with them.

Did anyone had any experience with this?

please advise.

thanks
gcfinder

I spoke to my firend , his son went to India with his in-laws 4 times and they never had any problem sofar. Except one time IO at SFO called his parents and verified about their relation. (in-laws and his son ).

He said for precaution " write a letter that your son is travelling with your in-laws with your permission. ".

Good luck:)
And both parents need to sign that. If possible notarize it to avoid the problems in Airport

My wife left my son in india for couple of months. And he came back with my in-laws without any issue. Airline checks only some adult should be there with the kid. Otherwise you can not book the airline ticket in first place.

Anyway Good luck.

International Travel with Minors (including Canada & Mexico)
Because some foreign countries may not permit entry to minors not accompanied by both parents without additional documentation, we highly recommend you travel with the following documentation:

Many countries require documentary evidence of the traveling adults' relationship to the child and permission of the parent(s) or legal guardian before they will allow the child to cross the border. Single parents, grandparents, or guardians traveling with children often need proof of custody or notarized letters from the other parent authorizing travel. These requirements are in addition to passport or proof of citizenship requirements.

The following sample letter can be amended to meet your specific situation and requirements.
---------------
To Whom It May Concern

I (We), ________________ (full name(s) of custodial and/or non-custodial parent(s)/legal guardian(s)), am (are) the____________________ (lawful custodial parent and/or non-custodial parent(s) or legal guardian(s))
of

Child’s full name: _____________________________________
Date of birth (DD/MM/YY): _____________________________
Place of birth: ________________________________________
US passport number:_____________________________
Date of issuance of US passport (DD/MM/YY): ________
Place of issuance of US passport: __________________

________________ (child’s full name), has my (our) consent to travel with

Full name of accompanying person: _______________________
Canadian or foreign passport number: _____________________
Date of issuance of passport (DD/MM/YY):_________________
Place of issuance of passport: ___________________________

to visit ______________ (name of foreign country) during the period of __________________ (dates of travel: departure and return). During that period, ________________ (child’s full name) will be residing with ________________ (name of person where child will be residing in foreign country) at the following address:

Number/street address and apartment number: ______________
City, province/state, country: _____________________________
Telephone and fax numbers (work and residence): _______________________

Any questions regarding this consent letter can be directed to the undersigned at:

Signature(s):______________________________________ Date:_________________
(Full name(s) and signature(s) of custodial parent,
and/or non-custodial parent(s) or legal guardian(s))

Signed before me, ________________ (name of witness), this _________________ (date) at ________ ______ (name of location).

Signature: ________________ (name of witness)

-------------------------

OR you can use below Sample leller
http://www.singleparenttravel.net/Writing/Documentation/NotarizedLetter.htm

My wife left my son in india for couple of months. And he came back with my in-laws without any issue. Airline checks only some adult should be there with the kid.
Again, this is another of those things that aren't consistent at every airline in every airport in every country. I know somebody who was the actual mother of the child, but she didn't have the same last name as the child and they didn't believe she was the mother nor that the father gave permission for the child to leave the country with her so they wouldn't let her check in. She actually had to call the father who came to the airport with the child's birth certificate and personally gave the permission. One should call the airline to find out what their requirement are and what the other government's policies are.

My wife left my son in india for couple of months. And he came back with my in-laws without any issue. Airline checks only some adult should be there with the kid. Otherwise you can not book the airline ticket in first place.

Anyway Good luck.

Usually problem is while leaving USA because of rift between parents and litigations.

Denial of entry is not the issue. The US citizen child will be let in upon returning.

The area of concern is whether the airline will allow the in-laws to carry the child. Sometimes when only one parent is traveling with a US citizen child, the airline will insist on proof that the other parent gave permission to take the child out of the US. With non-parents carrying the child it might be more difficult. You should call the airline and ask about their requirements for your situation. They might require a notarized letter or something like that. It would also help to be there at the airport when they are checking in the child.

The same problem also exists when leaving India with the child. In addition to the airline, the Indian customs or immigration officers (if they have exit controls in India) may have some requirements. So you need to contact the airlines both in the US and India.

Hi Jack,

I am sending them by continental airlines and called them and the customer service representative mentioned that they dont have any policy regd this.

thanks
gcfinder

And both parents need to sign that. If possible notarize it to avoid the problems in Airport

If we write a notarized letter, whom should we address it to? Immigration Officer at the respective airport?

does anyone has a template for this kind of letter or is it a plain letter mentioning that with mine and my wife's consent, we are sending our kid along with our in-laws?

Thanks Ginnu for the template. This will be useful and I will notarize it to be safe.
International Travel with Minors (including Canada & Mexico)
Because some foreign countries may not permit entry to minors not accompanied by both parents without additional documentation, we highly recommend you travel with the following documentation:

Many countries require documentary evidence of the traveling adults' relationship to the child and permission of the parent(s) or legal guardian before they will allow the child to cross the border. Single parents, grandparents, or guardians traveling with children often need proof of custody or notarized letters from the other parent authorizing travel. These requirements are in addition to passport or proof of citizenship requirements.

The following sample letter can be amended to meet your specific situation and requirements.
---------------
To Whom It May Concern

I (We), ________________ (full name(s) of custodial and/or non-custodial parent(s)/legal guardian(s)), am (are) the____________________ (lawful custodial parent and/or non-custodial parent(s) or legal guardian(s))
of

Child’s full name: _____________________________________
Date of birth (DD/MM/YY): _____________________________
Place of birth: ________________________________________
US passport number:_____________________________
Date of issuance of US passport (DD/MM/YY): ________
Place of issuance of US passport: __________________

________________ (child’s full name), has my (our) consent to travel with

Full name of accompanying person: _______________________
Canadian or foreign passport number: _____________________
Date of issuance of passport (DD/MM/YY):_________________
Place of issuance of passport: ___________________________

to visit ______________ (name of foreign country) during the period of __________________ (dates of travel: departure and return). During that period, ________________ (child’s full name) will be residing with ________________ (name of person where child will be residing in foreign country) at the following address:

Any questions regarding this consent letter can be directed to the undersigned at:

Signature(s):______________________________________ Date:_________________
(Full name(s) and signature(s) of custodial parent,
and/or non-custodial parent(s) or legal guardian(s))

Signed before me, ________________ (name of witness), this _________________ (date) at ________ ______ (name of location).

Signature: ________________ (name of witness)

-------------------------

OR you can use below Sample leller
http://www.singleparenttravel.net/Writing/Documentation/NotarizedLetter.htm