Selective Service Affidavit letter

vlad_hela

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone.

When I first came in US I was younger than 26 so I was required to register for Selective service but I had no clue, imagine you just go to a new country and have no clue about anything.

Anyway now I am 32 but I cant register so I need to include an affidavit letter to explain why didnt I register since I was required to.

The reason why I didnt register is very simple, I had no clue about it till a few months ago when I started checking the N400 but it was too late now.

Can anyone help with a sample affidavit letter or point me to a link where I can find one.

I heard that after 31 you dont have to worry about but I am definitely submitting the affidavit explaining why I didnt register before 26.

Any help appreciate.

Vlad

At what age did you come to the US and in what status? That'll give the forum a clearer picture of your situation

Hi everyone.

When I first came in US I was younger than 26 so I was required to register for Selective service but I had no clue, imagine you just go to a new country and have no clue about anything.

Anyway now I am 32 but I cant register so I need to include an affidavit letter to explain why didnt I register since I was required to.

The reason why I didnt register is very simple, I had no clue about it till a few months ago when I started checking the N400 but it was too late now.

Can anyone help with a sample affidavit letter or point me to a link where I can find one.

I heard that after 31 you dont have to worry about but I am definitely submitting the affidavit explaining why I didnt register before 26.

Any help appreciate.

Vlad

According to immigration law, if the applicant is 31 years old at the time of filing N400, failure to register does not have any impact on the application, even if that failure was intentional.

If I were you, I wouldn't send an affidavit with my application. At the interview, if it is brought up, just say you weren't aware of the requirement to do so.

:)

Hi everyone.

Any help appreciate.

Vlad

First, are you certain that you were required to register for Selective Service? If you only were in the U.S. before age 26 in a valid non-immigrant status (such as F-1, H-1, etc), you would not have been required to register. On the other hand, if you were in the U.S. before age 26 in a permanent resident status, you were indeed required to register.

Second, even now, post-factum, you can request a so-called "status information letter" from Selective Service which will simply state that you were required to register but did not. See http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html for instructions on how to obtain one.

I would advise you to try to get the status information letter in time for the interview. N-400 instructions do require you to submit evidence of Selective Service registration or lack thereof with your application in case you were required to register.
The IO will likely want to have a status information letter on file at the time of your naturalization interview. The fact that you did not register will not lead to denial of your N-400 application but they do need an official piece of paper from Selective Service for your N-400 file. If you don't have a status information letter at the time of the interview, this will quite possibly slow down approval of your application.

I came here a few months before 26 and I know for sure I was required to register.
I got the letter from SS but I need to also attach an affidavit and I dont want to pay a lawyer to do it for me since its a very simple thing but I want to see a sample first.

Any links?

Ah, in that case you did need to register with Selective Service, so you do need a status information letter from them now.
Did I understand you correctly that you have already obtained it?

If yes, I don't think you need any further affidavits or anything of the sort.

i got the SS letter but I want to submit an affidavit letter explaining why I missed it when I was supposed to register.

i got the SS letter but I want to submit an affidavit letter explaining why I missed it when I was supposed to register.

In that case you can simply write a simple explanation, in your own words, explaining why you did not register, date and sign it and bring it to the naturalization interview. It does not have to be more official than that and you don't need a lawyer to do this.

In that case you can simply write a simple explanation, in your own words, explaining why you did not register, date and sign it and bring it to the naturalization interview. It does not have to be more official than that and you don't need a lawyer to do this.

Affidavit is overkill, you were older than 31 when you filed and therefore fine.

:)

Hi everyone.

I have the same problem as the original poster, when I first came in US I was younger than 26 so I was required to register for Selective service but I had no clue, right now I am 28 and started to read about the N400 process. The reason is simple for failing, I was not aware of this process until started reading for the naturalisation process. I have tried to contact them at the phone numbers listed on the SSS website, however due to hight hold times and no representative answering I have decided to look for help everywhere else.

Can anyone help me with a sample affidavit letter or point me to a link where I can find one.

Regards,

Hi everyone.

I have the same problem as the original poster, when I first came in US I was younger than 26 so I was required to register for Selective service but I had no clue, right now I am 28 and started to read about the N400 process. The reason is simple for failing, I was not aware of this process until started reading for the naturalisation process. I have tried to contact them at the phone numbers listed on the SSS website, however due to hight hold times and no representative answering I have decided to look for help everywhere else.

Can anyone help me with a sample affidavit letter or point me to a link where I can find one.

Regards,

You do not need any "affidavit letter". If you were required to register with Selective Service but did not register, you'll need to get a "status information letter" from them. There is a form how to do that at their website: http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/PrinterFriendly/status.pdf You can also then write a short statement (1-2 sentences long would be enough), in your own words, saying that you did not register because you did not know that you were required to register.

However, before doing any of that you need to check your registration status, as it could be that you are actually registered. How and when did you obtain a green card? If it was done through the adjustment of status process (I-485), it is possible that USCIS registered you with the Selective Service automatically, when your green card was issued. So first check your registration status online, https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx

If you were not registered, then go ahead and request a status information letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Finally somebody from SSS answered and I was actually registered in another system.
The thing is that when you apply for the Green Card, automatically they submit your registration, however because at the moment when you get in the US, you do not have a SS NUMBER, website interrogations fail, they are not going to do the match for you, so you actually need to talk to a representative, they do a search on your name and they will match the data against the system that they have. They will ask you for all the addresses and SS, no guessing or other things, exact addresses so make sure you have them all in front of you when calling.

I am good, thank you for the reply.