Seeking guidance on Re-entering the USA during STEM OPT period

vvvittedi

I am currently an F1 student on my STEM extension, valid from January
2024 to January 2026, and am presently employed. Unfortunately, due to
family problems in India, I need to return to India for seven months.
I plan to return to the USA afterward, and my F1 visa is valid until
July 14, 2026.

I am reaching out to seek your guidance on how to navigate this
situation. I am concerned about any potential complications that may
arise from this extended absence and am uncertain about my chances of
re-entering the USA. Could you please advise me on the feasibility of
returning and any possible steps I can take to facilitate my return?

I understand your concern about returning to India for seven months and then re-entering the US on your F-1 visa. Here's some guidance to help you navigate this situation:

Understanding F-1 Status and Travel:
  • Maintaining Status: As an F-1 student, your primary purpose in the US is to study. An extended absence can raise questions about your intent.
  • Travel During OPT: While on your STEM OPT extension, you can travel outside the US, but for a limited time. The maximum allowed absence depends on your field of study and employer involvement in your OPT program.
Considerations for Your Situation:
  • Length of Absence: Seven months is a significant amount of time to be outside the US on an F-1 visa, especially during your OPT period.
  • Maintaining Ties to Studies: You'll need to demonstrate strong ties to your academic program to convince border officials of your intent to return and complete your studies.
Steps to Facilitate Your Return:
  1. Check OPT Travel Regulations: Carefully review the regulations for your specific OPT program regarding the maximum allowable absence. Contact your Designated School Official (DSO) for guidance.
  2. Maintain Enrollment: Ensure you remain enrolled in your program throughout your absence.
  3. Document Your Reason for Travel: Have documentation explaining your family emergency in India.
  4. Proof of Funds: Carry sufficient financial resources to support yourself during your studies.
  5. Clear Re-entry Plans: Have a clear return itinerary and documentation of your housing arrangements in the US.
  • if you need help urgently Whats app at xxxxxxxxcc they provide free consultation and will guide you on this issue.

Last edited by a moderator: