Second marriage green card application

Rlim

Hello guys, just wanted to ask you some questions about my adjustment of status application. This will be a long post since I will tell you my whole story. I dont want you to judge me with my question alone without knowing my story.

I got married to a US citizen back in June 2016. I was a J-1 student by then. We were in a long distance relationship before we got married. I guess we got carried away thinking we would be away from each other again after my j1 program. So we decided to get married at the court house with 2 witnesses. After the wedding, he left me thinking that I dated another guy (he was a friend and i treated him like an older brother) because he saw me taking a picture of his brand new mustang and he lets me drive his car in the parking lot. So my husband told everyone in my family that I cheated on him which was not true. My whole family got mad at me. He's good with manipulating people and making me look like a bad guy. It all went downhill from there. We had plans to go out and have fun on our wedding night but he left me alone. He eventually said sorry. Then suddenly, he said he got laid off and he will not be able to file the adjustment of status. I was still working for my j1 employer since they allowed me to work with my j1 visa expired. He's living 5hrs away from me. He just abandoned me. No financial, emotionally & physically support from him. We had a big fight before that because he already demanded a child from me. I refused and said I wasn't ready yet since I was still 19 that time. He left me for months. After a few months, I decided to reconcile with him. I went to his apartment in NJ. I needed to stay outside of his apartment so I could catch him going home from work. He saw me but he didn't want me to go inside of his apartment. I already saw
him inside the gate but he said he couldn't let me in since he doesnt have the key (but he was able to go inside) so he climbed up his gate to go outside really showing me that he doesn't have the key. At first he was saying that he wanted a divorce and he met some woman. Of course, i said no. Even though, i already want to give up. Especially, there's no divorce where we come from. It would be humiliating to get a divorce. Eventually, we reconciled and decided to get an apartment in NJ (he still kept his old apartment) I didn't have health insurance since I was out of status and I didnt have work. He refused to include me in his health insurance from his work. He refused to have a joint bank Account because he told me that it will affect his credit score (which is not true, he was lying to me) he refused to do anything for me in terms of joint documents. Eventually, we decided to file the greencard application for me. I got my green card 6 mos after. It became worst when I got my green card. He felt like I owe him a lot so he would demand a lot of things. I got tired of him and decided to get a divorce.

After a few mos, the same guy my husband got jealous over (guy who owns the mustang that i drove on our wedding day) messaged me on facebook. He said he got married after i got married and eventually got a divorced as well. He was deployed in Dubai Air Force Base when we started talking. We realized we had a lot of things in common. We understood each other especially we both came from the same country (divorce is not acceptable in our country) and we both got divorced. We thought no one would accept us anymore. We moved in together when he came back from his deployment. We feel loved from each other so much that we would cry from happiness. We would always think that what if we were the one who got married at the first place. We would not feel any pain and heartbreak from our previous marriage. We moved to another state when he got out of the military. He started working as an engineer for a company that works for the department of defense. He's also a real estate investor. We were so happy with our lives thinking that a few months ago, we were so heartbroken from our previous marriage. Now we felt like we started a new life. He proposed to me in the woods while camping with our family. We had a big wedding back in our country. All of our families and friends were there. It was the total opposite of what we had in our first wedding.

My 2 years greencard got expired last month and we decided to file a new green card. That was our lawyer advice since me and my ex husband don't have a lot of evidences. He didn't want me to be in deportation proceedings if I got denied filing i-751 waiver. I was able to talk to my ex husband because he contacted me asking when we got married (what a total asshole he is) he said he's gonna file a k-1 visa for his fiance. I don't know if it was the same women he cheated me on. So i said i would help him with all the documents that we have since uscis will ask him about our marriage. I asked him to give me an affidavit in return. Just to tell uscis that our marriage were real. At first he said yes but eventually backed out.

My questions is:

1. Do i have the chance to get approved if i dont have a lot of evidence from my previous marriage?
2. Are they gonna want me to also prove my previous marriage at the interview?
3. I could get a lot of affidavits from family and friends. What should be the best information that they could include in the letter to help me? Like the Negative things that's why it didn't work out?
4. I have a lot of conversations with him. (He was saying he met another woman and wanting to get divorce) my mother's conversation with him (he was asking permission to marry me and he was telling her that he would include me in his health insurance and phone bill but he didnt) do you think this will help?
5. Will an affidavit from him will help to prove our relationship or it will affect it in a bad way?

Last edited:
Okay I have to say I completely lost the trend of your post, too many unnecessary information IMO.

Here’s what I got from reading (before I gave up): You were married to your first husband, got your two year GC, you had problems with your husband following which you moved in with another guy and later on got married to him. Your first husband subsequently divorced you after he found out you had already gotten married to someone.

If my summarization is correct (I admit it may not since I lost track of what I was reading and had to stop), you committed bigamy, your first second marriage is not recognized by the US immigration. Your new husband cannot file for you because the marriage is not recognized.

You can no longer remove conditions from your 2 year GC because you’re now divorced and have no evidence to show you entered that marriage in good faith.

Okay I have to say I completely lost the trend of your post, too many unnecessary information IMO.

Here’s what I got from reading (before I gave up): You were married to your first husband, got your two year GC, you had problems with your husband following which you moved in with another guy and later on got married to him. Your first husband subsequently divorced you after he found out you had already gotten married to someone.

If my summarization is correct (I admit it may not since I lost track of what I was reading and had to stop),, you committed bigamy, your first second marriage is not recognized by the US immigration. Your new husband cannot file for you because the marriage is not recognized.

You can no longer remove conditions from your 2 year GC because you’re now divorced and have no evidence to show you entered that marriage in good faith.

If you cannot read the whole thing, then don't comment. I put a disclaimer at the beginning of my post that it will be a long story. I've seen posts like these and the comments were horrible like 'sounds like you just got married the first time to get greencard since you got married again after divorcing your ex husband' 'you will be deported' without knowing their whole story. That's why i explained everything.

I got my 2 year gc from my first husband. After a year, we got divorced. I was already divorced of course when i got married again. So instead of filing i-751 waiver, we filed another green card application based on our marriage.

I listed down all my questions. Obviously, you didn't read it. So why comment if you know you can't read the whole thing?

If you cannot read the whole thing, then don't comment. I put a disclaimer at the beginning of my post that it will be a long story. I've seen posts like these and the comments were horrible like 'sounds like you just got married the first time to get greencard since you got married again after divorcing your ex husband' 'you will be deported' without knowing their whole story. That's why i explained everything.

I got my 2 year gc from my first husband. After a year, we got divorced. I was already divorced of course when i got married again. So instead of filing i-751 waiver, we filed another green card application based on our marriage.

I listed down all my questions. Obviously, you didn't read it. So why comment if you know you can't read the whole thing?

1. Okay, can your rudeness! Yes you wrote a disclaimer at the beginning of your post. Truth is, there’s too much rambling in there. Nobody has the time to wade through a rather disjointed, unnecessarily long post to figure out the picture you’re trying to paint before getting to the so called questions.

2. You don’t get to tell forum members to not comment on a public post. I’m free to read to whatever stage I feel like before making a comment, just like any other forum member. You are actually in violation of the TOS - you can’t restrict people from commenting on your post/thread!

From your description I think you’ll find it difficult to prove a genuine relationship in your first marriage. Seems like you hardly spent time together, including on your wedding night even. No financial co-mingling, etc. While it might be seen to therefore makes sense to file a new GC rather than removal of conditions, you can bet that the interviewing officer will examine your first marriage too, especially as you basically went from one marriage to the next, and the officer is probably going to be suspicious (apparently with reason) of why you’re not filing i751 with a divorce waiver. I would definitely keep the lawyer around.

Having remarried does not preclude you from applying for Removal of Conditions now based on divorce.

If you want to do Adjustment of Status based on the second spouse, be aware that there is a rule that conditional permanent residents cannot do Adjustment of Status unless their conditional permanent residence has been "terminated". I am not sure if a situation where the two years of conditional permanent residence has passed counts as it having been "terminated".