Schedule A retrogression - next steps

GCin-waitng

Registered Users (C)
Health care industry plans next move:

"Michael Lodge, President CEO from IP 67.117.164.238 on October 11, 2006 at 16:25:05:

This last Friday members of the healthcare and legal community came together in San Francisco to discuss issues on recruitment and retrogression issues. Let me give you a semi update as to where we stand.

RETROGRESSION IN NOVEMBER
Although the latest Visa Bulletin, released October 10, brings the bad news the industry has been expecting for months, there is a small “reprieve”. Retrogression for EX visas (Schedule A) will occur in November. However, the November Visa Bulletin established a priority date of October 1, 2005 for the EX/Schedule A category rather than making the category completely unavailable. For Schedule A petitions, the priority date is the date the Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker (Form I-140) was received by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). This means that only those individuals who filed an I-140 petition on October 1, 2005 or earlier will still be eligible to obtain an immigrant visa either through a consular interview or through the filing of an Application to Adjust Status (Form I-485). Additionally, individuals in the United States will not be eligible to file the Adjustment of Status Application (Form I-485) unless they previously filed an I-140 petition on October 1, 2005 or earlier. Initial concurrent filings of the I-140 and I-485 will be temporarily unavailable beginning November 1, 2006.

See: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3046.html

Note that employers can continue to file I-140 petitions and the USCIS can and will continue to approve those petitions. Furthermore, the NVC has confirmed that they currently plan to continue to receive the approved I-140 petitions from the USCIS and conduct "pre-processing" for interviews. However, Consulates will discontinue interviews and granting immigrant visas for Schedule A petitions not filed prior to October 1, 2005.

Pending Adjustment of Status applications for Nurses and Physical Therapists in the United States will remain pending until additional immigrant visas become available (unless the I-140 was filed before October 1, 2005). The Nurse or Physical Therapist will be able to remain in the United States and eligible to obtain employment authorization during this time.

Last Wendsday I received an e-mail from immigration in which they notified me that there were only 1,000 numbers left. Now our firm filed 111 petitions last week, and if we did that amount and other companies are doing the same, that 1,000 is all gone by now.

It is our hope in the Healthcare industry that a bill will be attached to the Iraq Funding billing in December to give us maybe 12,000 new numbers. For information purposes, the 50,000 numbers that were given out this last time, only 17% were for actual nurses and PT's, the remaining numbers went to their family. Not that many went to actual healthcare workers. The majority of the numbers were used up by family members. They are looking to change this so that we can correct this issue.

I hope this has helped. And those that have their papers filed good luck. For those still trying, be patient, the situation should be fixed and new numbers relased within the next two years."

http://www.nclex-rn.net/nclex/messages2006d/159343.html

They will not give EB greencard numbers to nurses unless EB3 ROW is current.

Originally they planned to give 50K available visas to EB3 in 2005, but later that proposal was killed in the Congress, but in that period of time EB3 ROW was current (May 2005).

if you look into it, only 17% of 50000 went to original applicants and remaining went to family members

zzzz4zzzz said:
if you look into it, only 17% of 50000 went to original applicants and remaining went to family members
thats the way its supposed to be.....unless they start hiring single people across the board....

the number of 17% is mind boggling - that's like 20% consumption by primary and 80% by dependents...
that means for ever nurse....there were 4 dependents...spouse + 3 kids ( on an average)...
looks too bloated....I could understand 2 kids and a ratio of 1:4 is fairly high...

dont' forget that when the numbers of 50k were given to nurses - still another 50k numbers are left unused...is what I gather...from FY2001 to FY2004 (not sure)...

there were about 100K numbers left but Congress decided to grant them 50K from that pool...they still have 50K remaining to play with ....

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15183

Last edited by a moderator: