S. 1932 Status

We are going to win the next step too

Good job - I was looking at that too. From the Senate side it looks favorable in the committee. I think Jon Corzine also will support it (he was a ex CEO of Goldman Sachs, a pro-business guy).

We have to do more research about the Budget committee from the house side. Then we need to contact them and convince them.

I think we are doing good here. Tactically, it was a mistake for Byrd to put up that amendment and get defeated on the floor so convincingly. Since he is already in the budget committee, strategically he would have done better to try and remove it during the senate-budget conference. But he got carried away, proposed the amendment and got thrashed so convincingly. It will be very difficult for them to re-introduce an amendment which was rejected so convincingly on the floor of the senate again through back door. So, I think we stand a great chance to have this signed into law by Thanksgiving!!

Great! I smell green card!!!

elusive_gc said:
Out of the 22 Senate Budget Committee members only FOUR voted for the Byrd Ammendment. One senator did not vote. Even if we include him in the yes camp, 17/22 is a very good ratio.

Voted Yes on Byrd Amdt. No. 2367

Jeff Sessions (R–AL)
Debbie Stabenow (D–MI)
Robert C. Byrd (D–WV)
Russell D. Feingold (D–WI)

Did not Vote

Jon Corzine (D–NJ)

Please Explain

Could someone explain how the roll call works?
Now the Byrd amendment is rejected, does this mean, by default, senate floor pass the original bill simultaneously, or another roll call required for the pass of original bill?
TIA

Please close this thread relating to Further actions/House reps, etc

WONDERFUL JOB in helping defeat the Byrd Amendment

I propose closing this thread and concentrating our energies, strategies at one thread
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=195142

Start afresh, get lists of Congressmen, maybe some old timers can analyse the situation and get the game plan going

Remember, our adversaries did not expect our action this time so they will be ready for a big fight. Hence, get more of our guys involved since this will be a much larger effort.

GCBy2010 said:
I truly appreciate everyone's efforts for urging the senators to vote "NO" on this bill...Many of you took time off from work and dedicated your efforts on this.. I bow for you !! We will have to make sure that the same work is carred out again to the congressmen now.

for my humble part i faxed about 30 letters and made about 15 calls to various senators...

Is there some website where we can send faxes from ?.. sending from fax machine takes long for a repetitive task like this... Please post other ideas as to how we can get the message conveyed to the congressmen more effectively...

Also other than knowing about this bill discussion from immigration-law.com, I also got an email from AILA on Tuesday evening (November 1) alerting me to urge senators to vote against the Byrd amendment. I would request all of you to register with AILA to receive updates on any immigration matters so that you are notified on time as to what is happening in the senate/congress.

You should join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techworkers/ and also, www.ISNAmerica.org. Together, we sent approx. 1200 faxes today.

I urge every oen to join these groups if you have not already

Budget committee not the right committee to contact

It is NOT the joint budget committee that will be in conference.

Please forgive my lack of understanding about the US system..I wish Idid study US Government. Anyway, let me apologise. The Senate and HOuse both will decide on the conferees, sometime next week. That is when our lobbying efforts have to be strong.

so sorry for the misleading information!

senate is voting on final passage of the bill

senate is voting right now on the final passage of the bill. looks like the bill will be finally approved by senate, the next and most important step is the senate-house conference committee which will reconcile the bill from congress and senate.
--Thanks

contact info of house of representatives

Here is the list of the house of representative. This is not complete yet. I will complete tonight and will post tomorrow.

STAY TUNE

Cheers

Can someone please clarify the following points

1) OK i understand that this amendment is defeated. Also know that the sub section which we want was cleared by Senate Judiciary committe. However does it mean that the Budget Reconciliation act as a whole has been aproved by Senate ?

2) Has Congress already passed their version of this bill or is it still being debated. I am aware that their version doesnt have immigration provisions.

3) When Congress and Senate sit in joint session who actually will sit in the room. Will it be whole Congress and Senate (full house), or just members of Congress and Seante budget commitee, or someone else.

4) How come House and Senate Immigration sub commitee has no involvement in this process. It is afterall immigration issue. or do they have involvement ?

5) Does AILA being such a powerful body on lawyers interest have a full time lobbyist in DC ? How important was their influence on this.

Thanks

Your attention please

I just read the following artcle at 'numbeersusa.com'

A critical vote was lost Thursday afternoon on the Senate Reconciliation bill (S. 1932). By a vote of 14-85, the Senate rejected an amendment by Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV) that would have struck provisions passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee and adopted a $1,500 increase in L-1 visa fees. The Senate Judiciary Committee's provisions would increase legal immigration levels by more than a third at a time when the public is clamoring for less immigration. They would, in effect, ensure that hundreds of thousands of well-paying American jobs will be filled by *cheaper foreign workers*. NumbersUSA will continue to fight these provisions as reconciliation action moves to the House. *The House Judiciary Committee has already passed provisions identical to those sought by Senator Byrd*. After the House passes its version, a conference committee will reconcile the differences.

Dear Friends,
Does anybody has information about the House Judiciary commitee that has passed provisions identical to those sought by Senator Byrd.

texancanadian said:
Can someone please clarify the following points

1) OK i understand that this amendment is defeated. Also know that the sub section which we want was cleared by Senate Judiciary committe. However does it mean that the Budget Reconciliation act as a whole has been aproved by Senate ?

2) Has Congress already passed their version of this bill or is it still being debated. I am aware that their version doesnt have immigration provisions.

3) When Congress and Senate sit in joint session who actually will sit in the room. Will it be whole Congress and Senate (full house), or just members of Congress and Seante budget commitee, or someone else.

4) How come House and Senate Immigration sub commitee has no involvement in this process. It is afterall immigration issue. or do they have involvement ?

5) Does AILA being such a powerful body on lawyers interest have a full time lobbyist in DC ? How important was their influence on this.

Thanks
Though the chapter 8 will be included in senete version of the bill, now the big question mark is whether chapeter 8 will be included as it is in the final single bill.

The house verson of budget deficit bill does not have provision for visa retrogression. Therefore, two budjet bills (to remove deficit) has different stand for generating revenue from immigration. Washington post reports that some Reps are opposing inclusion of immigration reform in budget bill. They feel that immigration itself a big issue, not to be coupled with budget. Therefore inclusion of chapter 8 of sente verson of budget bill in final bill will be discussed in conference committee. Anybody know when it will be formed?. Who will be members?

Some links has interested topics on this issue..

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/med...hp?newsid=32875
http://www.house.gov/budget/reconsum110105.htm
http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_...cfm?DR_ID=33506
http://washingtontimes.com/national...13639-8058r.htm
http://www.washingtontimes.com/nati...20738-8062r.htm

senate/house bill

Just I watched Peter Cohn commnents, Reporter for congressional daily. He says that there are vast deferences between the Senate and house bills and it is not an easy task to come to a consensus, further it may not happen this year.

update from immigration-law.com

Just found this update in www.immigration-law.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
11/03/2005: Senate Passed S. 1932 Reconciliation Bill including Immigration Packet which Senate Judiciary Had Passed

At. 05:51 p.m. (est), the full Senate passed S. 1932 after defeating Byrd Amendment. On the House side, the House Budget Committee just passed the House version of the appropriation bill which is scheduled to the full House action next week. The difference between the House bill and the Senate bill will be resolved thereafter at the conference committee. Please stay tuned!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, we have to somehow counter negative propaganda like the link below (conveys to public,senators and congressmen )which seem to diverting the attention away from the truth (example allocation of 3,50,000 immigrant visas every year.... as opposed to only recapture of visa numbers)

http://www.numbersusa.com/hottopic/H1B.html

Not sure why AFL-CIO is being quoted by Sen. Byrd as one that is opposing skilled immigration. They do not seem to be in the skilled worker market but rather for unskilled workers. I believe their support is being used just because they are a big organization that might sound alarm bells in the senators minds !

http://www.aflcio.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
I am uploading the budget timeline and procedure here for the education of our collegues. It looks like senate has completed their vote on reconciliation and house is scheduled for vote next week. The next step would be "budget reconciliation conference" which will have sub-conferences by authorizing committees from both floors.

Essentially house is proposing to generate 418 million by increasing the fees on L-1 visas and senate is proposing generating revenue by increasing the 140 and h1b fees along with increase in number of visas(H1B and EB)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where will the spouses of EB3 willg et their numbers from?

Hello Guys,

I have a HUGE doubt - One fundamental Question. Where will the DOS get the VISA numbers for the Spouses and family Members if they Dont Count them from the Available Employment based Quota. The issued Visa Numbers should come from some where right?

ansi2004 said:
Hello Guys,

I have a HUGE doubt - One fundamental Question. Where will the DOS get the VISA numbers for the Spouses and family Members if they Dont Count them from the Available Employment based Quota. The issued Visa Numbers should come from some where right?

Well they will come from whereever they were coming before.
Just that they wont be counted towards the Annual limit.

neocor

Can we start by contacting the Reps listed in the second url below?

Does someone have a text/talking points?

CT_Resident said:
Hello Friends,

Please find some useful information for the next step in the process.

http://www.opencrs.com/rpts/RL33030_20050810.pdf

The link above provide info abt the process for the house conferences.

http://judiciary.house.gov/committeestructure.aspx?committee=4

This link provides all the house members that are likely to be part of the conference for the difference for the immigration pieces. There are some tough nuts to crack. so get crackin'

neocor said:
Well they will come from whereever they were coming before.
Just that they wont be counted towards the Annual limit.

neocor

Today, spouse and children are given numbers from the EB quaota. Going forward, if the new bill becomes law, they will not be given numbers from the EB quota anymore... but they have to get their numbers from somewhere...?

Or will they be given their GC's just like H4 spouses are getting their visas - without any quota... Which might go well beyond the system of only certain number of immigrants (140,000 ) per year!

Does it all make sense? Ask me if you are unclear and I can try to explain more!