S. 1932 Status

Any update from senate

satyasaich said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Senator Cornyn has proposed some amendments related to broder security
Senator Durban is also proposing some, but no harm for legal EB. but not yet touched the backlogs/ employment based secions
Making some progress

Stay tuned

Guys,

Any update ?

-Sun

The real action is elsewhere!

smallriver said:
Weird. Nothing is going on.
The real action is going on at www.immigrationvoice.org! Go check them out and participate in shaping your own future!
The chief action is actually behind the scenes! The Immigration Voice volunteers have been reaching out far and wide, and have actually made a lot of progress that will unfold over the next days & weeks!
If only you knew...! But you will be saying by next month - wish I had participated!
Go to www.immigrationvoice.org and see where the action is at!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this thread dead?

Guys,
Any inputs on this one - "Senate Closer on Immigrant Worker Proposal" at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060316/ap_on_go_co/immigration

Senate Closer on Immigrant Worker Proposal By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 42 minutes ago

Senators writing a major immigration law overhaul bill moved Thursday toward accepting an approach under which illegal immigrants could stay in the United States while working toward permanent residence and eventual citizenship.

Sen. Edward Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-Mass., stressed that his plan moving through the Senate Judiciary Committee would not constitute an amnesty, a policy rejected by the Bush administration and most Americans, according to polls. Kennedy said it would not give the estimated 11 million people in the country illegally any advantage over the 3 million living overseas while waiting for a decision on green card applications.

Committee Chairman Arlen Specter said the panel would consider the proposal put forward by Kennedy and Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), R-Ariz., when it reconvenes on March 27 after a weeklong recess.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., has made clear that immigration reform will be on the chamber's floor that week, regardless of whether the Judiciary Committee comes up with a comprehensive bill.

Congress, at the urging of President Bush, has made comprehensive immigration reform a top priority for this election-year session, pushing forward proposals combining immigration enforcement, a guest worker program and a policy toward people living in the country illegally.

The future treatment of undocumented immigrants, Kennedy said, "really is the heart and soul of this whole undertaking."

The McCain-Kennedy plan would allow those in the country illegally to obtain six-year nonimmigrant visas under which they could work in the country and travel outside the country. They would have to pay a $1,000 fine and undergo background checks.

After six years, the immigrant who pays back taxes, is learning English and pays an additional $1,000 fine can apply for a green card, or permanent residency.

Specter, R-Pa., said the committee would vote on a version of the McCain-Kennedy proposal on the 27th. There would also be a vote on the chief alternative, offered by Sens. John Cornyn, R-Texas, and Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., that would give illegal immigrants up to five years to leave the country. These immigrants could apply from their home country to return, either as temporary workers or for permanent residency.

"Our intention is not to strand anyone outside the country," Kyl said. But he said that the McCain-Kennedy plan would give an illegal immigrant allowed to stay and work in the country a "huge advantage" over a person having to wait for years in his or her own country for a green card.

But with Democrats, and several Republicans, on the committee behind McCain-Kennedy, it appeared to have the edge.

Cornyn and Kennedy said they would work over the recess next week on the structure of a guest worker program, which would start out with 400,000 visas. The committee is also expected to take up a separate provision for temporary agriculture workers in preparation for debate on the floor.

Senators from both parties in the committee on Wednesday objected to voting on a bill before the panel reaches a consensus on guest workers. Several Republicans suggested that the Senate first deal with enforcement, and take up the guest worker issue later in the year.

"This is a very complicated bill," Specter said. "And I think we have to get it done right."

Bush, in a State of the Union address two years ago, urged Congress to create a worker program under which participants could gain legal status for a specific time and then be required to return home. It would not provide an automatic path to citizenship.

The House at the end of last year passed a bill that increases penalties for illegal immigration activities and requires employers to verify the legal status of their employees. But it did not address the guest worker issue, and critics argued that it was futile to try to close the border when demand for low-wage workers in this country remains so strong.

"We have a broken system," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Wednesday. "It needs to be fixed and it needs to be addressed in a comprehensive way."

you guys are so desperate to stay in US of A, its really pathetic. i R2I'ed 6 months back after staying in US for 6 years (H1limit) and enjoying it. Its really pathetic to see you people knowing name of senators, laws, law process in US and all that crap, just to stay there. thats really a sign of desperation (inspite of all people from US hating immigration. google for appropriate keywords (cuss words), read news then you will get reality check of how much people like you being there). things arent that bad here in the country you were born and raised. do something for the your country!

after getting cheap education here dont runaway without paying your dues to india!!
i personally know some people who got educated in IIT in 60's and say india didnt do anything for me, its crap, its smells , its corrupt etc etc (you know what those kind of people say). i have to remind them that its the taxpayers of india who educated you:)
only educated guys like you have the power to come back and make changes here in our neck of the woods.

jaibhavani......you sound like the fox who could not get the sour grapes......

sorry dude....we are here right now........we like this place......we would not mind going back to our country(thank god its 10 times better now than it was 6 years ago)......but we would like to explore ways so that we can get our GC........if that offends you......maybe you need to have more fun in india...than spend time talking trash about other people....

techy2468 said:
jaibhavani......you sound like the fox who could not get the sour grapes......

sorry dude....we are here right now........we like this place......we would not mind going back to our country(thank god its 10 times better now than it was 6 years ago)......but we would like to explore ways so that we can get our GC........if that offends you......maybe you need to have more fun in india...than spend time talking trash about other people....

things are improving...but, it's nowhere near 10 times...yes it'll be 10 times for the englis speaking of the lot...but, the rest, which I believe is the majority...the scene may only marginally be better. The divide between the have & the havenots is increasing...

Generally, we all believe what comes up on the web newspapers...but, that is far from reality.

A lot needs to be done...but, I don't think this is the right thread or forum for that matter...:)

rebuttal to techy2468

tech2468 if i sound like fox who couldnt get sour grapes, then you sound like the wolf in sheeps clothing, with the *twist* (meaning not the conventional wolf in sheep clothing animal)
let me explain: you are like the wolf who is desperate to stay in the sheep flock(US). the shephard doesnt want you there, moreover the sheep know you are there and just hate you being there. they give you hints of going back to where you came from. but you try to do everything like the sheep, just to be accepted and to live there.

back to my point, it is to request you not to be so desperate in being with the sheep flock.

ifgc, agree with you this not the right forum, but it really saddened me to see you guys knowing so much about the immigration laws, senator names, ammendments. Not even the senators would be having so much informtion about these thing (niether would they care about having it). All this smacks of desperation to stay in the US. That desperation is precisely what i am saying shouldnt happen.
Just to give you a perspective, most of the people i have seen (i was in CA) who were so despo were "prograaaaamers" from South India (mostly gultis) . they would do anything (literally anything :eek: ) to stay in the US. techy2468, are you one of them?
anyway i dont want to go on rambling, but my point is stay wherever you wish & dont be so desperate to stay with the flock(US).

jabhavani....i am not a gulti....and i love to be in usa....and hence u can say i am very much interested in staying here......desperation.....well...some of us got desperate....because they spent last 5 years thinking that they will get their GC in 2-3 years.....you will not understand that....

anyways....it is a too complex situation we are just oversimplifying it by mentioning few of the things.....lets leave this here...

JaiBhavani,

Did any south Indian screwed you ?. Why the heck you have been in USA for 6 years. What made you to come to usa instead of working in india and clearing out the dirt of politicians and the screwed up politics. Is it something wrong in knowing the politics and the culture.

Did you just worked as a programmer in USA without understanding the western culture....Are you not showing your USA experience on your Resume and making Big bucks there.

If you talk something bad about South Indians iam gonna come where ever you are and Screw you...... Yes iam a South Indian......

Iam not going to respond to any of your junk postings here.....

jaibhavani said:
tech2468 if i sound like fox who couldnt get sour grapes, then you sound like the wolf in sheeps clothing, with the *twist* (meaning not the conventional wolf in sheep clothing animal)
let me explain: you are like the wolf who is desperate to stay in the sheep flock(US). the shephard doesnt want you there, moreover the sheep know you are there and just hate you being there. they give you hints of going back to where you came from. but you try to do everything like the sheep, just to be accepted and to live there.

back to my point, it is to request you not to be so desperate in being with the sheep flock.

ifgc, agree with you this not the right forum, but it really saddened me to see you guys knowing so much about the immigration laws, senator names, ammendments. Not even the senators would be having so much informtion about these thing (niether would they care about having it). All this smacks of desperation to stay in the US. That desperation is precisely what i am saying shouldnt happen.
Just to give you a perspective, most of the people i have seen (i was in CA) who were so despo were "prograaaaamers" from South India (mostly gultis) . they would do anything (literally anything :eek: ) to stay in the US. techy2468, are you one of them?
anyway i dont want to go on rambling, but my point is stay wherever you wish & dont be so desperate to stay with the flock(US).

Jaibhavani,
The only thing I am concerned about and I'm going to ask you is "Do you have any news about any amendment in the immi laws that will allow me to file for I-485?"

Any thing that u say other than this topic will be considered a gossip read. Because you won't come to this thread if you are not one of us. I know u like to grab attention just like some other smartasses who have done similar things in this thread and other threads. :)

I second the motion of screwing. You just wrote what I wanted to write, but lets leave this topic and move ahead.

Please don't take region comparision in to the discussion when you are making a personal attack. People of every kind will be there in every community, when we talk like this we are no different than dirty politician from our country.

redgo said:
JaiBhavani,

Did any south Indian screwed you ?. Why the heck you have been in USA for 6 years. What made you to come to usa instead of working in india and clearing out the dirt of politicians and the screwed up politics. Is it something wrong in knowing the politics and the culture.

Did you just worked as a programmer in USA without understanding the western culture....Are you not showing your USA experience on your Resume and making Big bucks there.

If you talk something bad about South Indians iam gonna come where ever you are and Screw you...... Yes iam a South Indian......

I Third the motion of screwing....anyone who is using a slur based on race/ethinicity/cast....or the color of shit...

i consider him a dumb person...

redgo said:
JaiBhavani,

redgo, there is no point reacting to such posts. This person is most probably in need of medical care for his mental condition (since he is dishing out unsolicited advice and expects the world to function according to his wishes/beliefs) or he is just a miscreant who gets pleasure in making people react and generally waste everyone's time. So just ignore and move on. :)

Any news about any immi bills?

Good, We know the pain everday what we go through when we talk to our employers/attorneys who are not cooperative. People who go through this pain they only can uderstand.

Guys iam so sick in waiting for this GC and keeps on looking for Visa bulletin whether or not the PD comes in near future.

Thanks Guys

Redgo