RTD with Permanent Resident Status Taken Away in IAH

ccordova624

Registered Users (C)
I am really confused with this immigration officers at the airports.
My father just came back from abroad today thru Houston, TX with his CG and his Refugee Travel Document (With the status Permanent Resident). He was sent to secondary inspection because of not having his National Passport (What?), and in there the officer took away his RTD and told him that ""This Document is just a Travel Authorization, but he has to have a National Passport"" The officer also told him that even though he is a Permanent Resident of the U.S he is still (Nationality Name) and he needs to get a passport from (Native Country).

Once again, the Travel Document had the status mark “Permanent Resident”. So I dont know what to say, was the officer a “rookie” and he didnt know about immigration and ex-asylees, or what happened?
My dad told me that the officer ask other officers about it and they were all kind of confused too, but the supervisor officer told them to take away the RTD...

We are really confused. We didn’t renew our expired national passports because of the rules and safety of don’t give immigration an excuse to take away our green cards…blah, blah, blah... and we all got travel documents from CIS…

So... was the officer right? Do we need to get our National Passports? Should we get Reentry Permits? Should we get Reentry permits AND NP???

Does anybody have any experiences traveling with RTD(PR) + GC....

I am really starting to believe that the easy way to travel is GC + NP...

Last edited by a moderator:
So... was the officer right? Do we need to get our National Passports? Should we get Reentry Permits? Should we get Reentry permits AND NP???

No; the officer is not right.

happened to me once at JFK and I complained to the USCIS central office in Washington. Received an apopogy. In encourage you to do the same.

Bear in mind that many (perhaps a majority) of refugees and asylees cannot get a passport even if they want one (their countries will not issue you one). So RTD or RP is their ONLY travel document.

I know that... many COP will not issue a NP to ex-asylees and Refugees...

I think that officer was wrong... "anotheryear" could you please send me the address of the USCIS Central Office in DC and a template of the letter you sent them to complain about this issue...by PM or in this thread... I am going to definately complain, specialy because is a brand new document, my dad spent $305 on it...

I know that... many COP will not issue a NP to ex-asylees and Refugees...

I think that officer was wrong... "anotheryear" could you please send me the address of the USCIS Central Office in DC and a template of the letter you sent them to complain about this issue...by PM or in this thread... I am going to definately complain, specialy because is a brand new document, my dad spent $305 on it...

Yes, you need to complain for sure. Refer to the appropriate section of the law. If you have the name of the officer that would help too. I also had a valid RTD with the words Permanent Resident printed on the RTD and I was sent to secondary as well where the IO told me that the officer who initially inspected me had made a mistake and he let me through after stamping my RTD. Humiliation at its worst.

Same thing hapenned to me in Houston

I actually did not have my GC, I had ONLY my RTD saying "asylee" in it.
The 1st officer sent me to 2ndary inspection and the 2nd officer was like "-Who sent you here?"
I said, "the other officer". She was a big momma and said " He does not know what he is doing HONEY, go right ahead, you are fine"

Yes, you need to complain for sure. Refer to the appropriate section of the law. If you have the name of the officer that would help too. I also had a valid RTD with the words Permanent Resident printed on the RTD and I was sent to secondary as well where the IO told me that the officer who initially inspected me had made a mistake and he let me through after stamping my RTD. Humiliation at its worst.

I am really confused with this immigration officers at the airports.
My father just came back from abroad today thru Houston, TX with his CG and his Refugee Travel Document (With the status Permanent Resident). He was sent to secondary inspection because of not having his National Passport (What?), and in there the officer took away his RTD and told him that ""This Document is just a Travel Authorization, but he has to have a National Passport"" The officer also told him that even though he is a Permanent Resident of the U.S he is still (Nationality Name) and he needs to get a passport from (Native Country).

Once again, the Travel Document had the status mark “Permanent Resident”. So I dont know what to say, was the officer a “rookie” and he didnt know about immigration and ex-asylees, or what happened?
My dad told me that the officer ask other officers about it and they were all kind of confused too, but the supervisor officer told them to take away the RTD...

We are really confused. We didn’t renew our expired national passports because of the rules and safety of don’t give immigration an excuse to take away our green cards…blah, blah, blah... and we all got travel documents from CIS…

Happened to me..took mine away. I sent a letter along with a new application for a RTD ..they sent me one with check attached.

Now I travel with RP + NP...Show NP at the port of entry and travel overseas with visa on RP since its easier.

Happened to me one time in SFO tried to go to Singapore, they told me I need my NP to go to Singapore plus RTD. I explained to them still they don't understand and then I told them if I can't go that night I will sue them. I was waiting in the airport for 2 hours with 2 toddlers and worried if I can't go (my mom has cancer she has treatment in Singapore). I travelled 2 times before never had problem, but that day they told me Singapore changed their law about RTD, BS..., I checked on Singapore gov. web site a day before I left nothing change...for me being asylee it is really tough, people still treat us different.

How did you get your NP?

Well... I spoke with my local congressman officer (she helped my father and I expedite our RTD and inquiry about our GCs) and she told me that she thinks what the officer did to my Dad was not right. However, she asked me to write her a email with the whole story and the questions that I had, then she is going to foward my email to the Congressman liason in the CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) along with her own questions. She said she is going to ask, if the confiscation of the RTD was right, if it wasnt right then she is going to ask them to either return the document or a letter from them to admit their mistake and to send USCIS to expedite and waived the fee for a new RTD.

If on the other hand, the confiscation of the RTD was right, then to tell us with what documents an ex-asylee and GC holder (with no NP) should use to enter the country smooth and with no problems.

The Congressman officer told me if they want your father to use a NP + GC they need to put it on writting so you have proof that CBP wants your Dad to renew/obtain his NP.

Still the question/problem would be what if the COP consulate will not renew the NP??

Anyways... I'll keep you guys post it about the answer from CBP...

Well... I spoke with my local congressman officer (she helped my father and I expedite our RTD and inquiry about our GCs) and she told me that she thinks what the officer did to my Dad was not right. However, she asked me to write her a email with the whole story and the questions that I had, then she is going to foward my email to the Congressman liason in the CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) along with her own questions. She said she is going to ask, if the confiscation of the RTD was right, if it wasnt right then she is going to ask them to either return the document or a letter from them to admit their mistake and to send USCIS to expedite and waived the fee for a new RTD.

If on the other hand, the confiscation of the RTD was right, then to tell us with what documents an ex-asylee and GC holder (with no NP) should use to enter the country smooth and with no problems.

The Congressman officer told me if they want your father to use a NP + GC they need to put it on writting so you have proof that CBP wants your Dad to renew/obtain his NP.

Still the question/problem would be what if the COP consulate will not renew the NP??

If by any chance they do write it that you can use NP...please help all others and scan that letter. You can blank out your fathers name address or any other relevant details. It may be helpful for all of us one day.

They cannot ask you to use NP.

They cannot ask you to use NP.

That was what the CBP officer at Houston Airport told my father. "You are a Permanent Resident, and you need to have/use your passport from your country..."
He told her (Latino Officer) that he cannot get one and our lawyer told him to get a RTD... she ignored my father's answer and took the RTD and let him in with no further problemes...
So I am really waiting to see what CBP has to say abou this issue...

Hi Everybody,

Here is an update about my father's case.
So, CBP finally responded to the letter from the congressman and they recognized that IT WAS A MISTAKE of the officer the confiscation of my fathe's RTD. I called the CBP officer in the letter and she is going to send the RTD by Fedex tomorrow. The document it's still valid, so at least my father can use it for 6+ months...

See attached pdf. letter from CBP to the congressman. My pdf/scan mixed up the images a bit... but is well readable.

Last edited by a moderator:
You did not black out your father's name at the end of the letter, if you can edit that, would be better, just my opinion...thanks for keeping us up to date.

What should I use to travel? I have RP but my green card is with the Nebraska service center pending correction on USCIS administrative error (the resident since date is wrong on the card). I have filed out I-90 D. I have been issued a temporary green card valid for one year. Is it safe to travel with the temporary green card which is I-94 with the correct date and RP. Since I cannot get a NP from my home country?
Thanks a lot for your response.
JBill

What should I use to travel? I have RP but my green card is with the Nebraska service center pending correction on USCIS administrative error (the resident since date is wrong on the card). I have filed out I-90 D. I have been issued a temporary green card valid for one year. Is it safe to travel with the temporary green card which is I-94 with the correct date and RP. Since I cannot get a NP from my home country?
Thanks a lot for your response.
JBill

With the temporary GC and RP you are fine to travel.

Hi Everybody,

Here is an update about my father's case.
So, CBP finally responded to the letter from the congressman and they recognized that IT WAS A MISTAKE of the officer the confiscation of my fathe's RTD. I called the CBP officer in the letter and she is going to send the RTD by Fedex tomorrow. The document it's still valid, so at least my father can use it for 6+ months...

See attached pdf. letter from CBP to the congressman. My pdf/scan mixed up the images a bit... but is well readable.

First of all, thanks to ccordova624 for sharing your experience and a letter from CBP. I am glad they finally resolved your Dad's case.

This is a good example on how incompetent those I/Os are both at the airport and at the processing centers. I can only imagine that same thing can happened to anyone the GC & RTD holder. It took so much time, money and patience to apply for RTD and at the end it is not considered a valid document. How frustrating this can be to some people.
I am not sure where or what is wrong in the system. Do they just misinformed? are they insufficiently trained? why one officer tells people something and the other wants something else? is it so difficult for them to get a proper standard requirements that can be applied uniformly in every airport in this country?

I am very grateful to be able to live in and be part of this great country. I can only hope that someone in the right position and have access to make improvement in this department will do a BIG overhaul soon.