RTD issue

Peach

Registered Users (C)
Some people on this board expressed an idea to go ahead and apply for the GC trough an employer or a spouse.
And I am thinking - what if a person – asylee, really gets his GC through another source, then what document he or she will use to travel?
The refugee travel document is issued only to asylees or GC holder’s, who got the LPR status through the asylum.
But, if an asylee eventually gets his/her LPR through a different source it doesn’t necessarily means they want to give up their asylum status and go back, or renew their expired national passports. Some of us can’t or just don’t want to.
So, my questing is……. Is it possible for a former asylee, who got his GC trough an employer, or a spouse, to renew their RTD and travel overseas and back with it???

I have also another question.Can asylee be a participant of GC lottery?Will it affect somehow my pending I-485?And why should we pay 1000$ for
I-485.It's not an application fee!

I do not see any reason to maintain the asylum status once you are a GC holder, and I think if you get your GC through marriage or work, a Reentry Permit will be issued so you can travel as you like.

Re-entry permit looks identical to refugee travel document. except on the first page it says PR instead of refugee.

Peach said:
Thank you, Karina and Cider_or!

To Minsk:
you can certainly try your luck in the GC lottery.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants_types_diversity3.html

I don’t know anything about the $1,000 you mentioned.

Instructions:

Purpose of Form: To provide supplemental information to USCIS on persons seeking to adjust status under the provisions of section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Edition Date: 07/23/04. 05/05/03 version will be accepted only through 9/30/04.
Where to File: File this form along with your Form I-485.

Filing Fee: $1000 in addition to the fee required with your Form I-485. If you have filed Form I-485 separately, attach a copy of your filing receipt and pay the additional fee of $1000.
Please consult the "Paying Fees" section of your local office or Service Center page to learn which forms of payment are accepted. Acceptable forms of payment may vary by office.

Certain people who have violated immigration laws in the past need to submit the $1000 fine to have the I-485s processed. But this does not apply to asylees.

Minsk said:
Instructions:

Purpose of Form: To provide supplemental information to USCIS on persons seeking to adjust status under the provisions of section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Edition Date: 07/23/04. 05/05/03 version will be accepted only through 9/30/04.
Where to File: File this form along with your Form I-485.

Filing Fee: $1000 in addition to the fee required with your Form I-485. If you have filed Form I-485 separately, attach a copy of your filing receipt and pay the additional fee of $1000.
Please consult the "Paying Fees" section of your local office or Service Center page to learn which forms of payment are accepted. Acceptable forms of payment may vary by office.