Risk of going to border to get new TN visa for new employer

curiousGeorge8

I renewed my TN visa at my current employer in May. But I just got an offer from another employer. I am thinking of going to border to apply for a new TN visa. But I am worried that if my TN application is denied, is there any risk that I cannot come back to US to continue to work for my current employer?

I have finished reading about the last five years of TN discussions on this forum. To summarize,
1. Applying at POE is much quicker than applying by mailing I-129.
2. You have more control as you normally keep the old TN whereas applying by I-129 the employer can choose to cancel your old TN.

I also have one question about document requirement of applying POE. Is it true that all the documents (evaluation, education credentials) have to be original?
Can someone help me?

I also have one question about document requirement of applying POE. Is it true that all the documents (evaluation, education credentials) have to be original?
Can someone help me?

-- Documents for the "border TN" should always be Original - because they need to see the originals (they do not keep them). It is always a good idea to keep copies if they ask (in my case, the officer made copies of the Originals before returning them to me). The "mail-in" should always use the copies, because they keep all documents that are sent with the applications.

That said, if situation warrants a faxed/scanned copy of a document from the sponsor can be accepted. For example, to remedy a deficient TN letter quickly at the border.

Thank everyone for your inputs.

It seems that I have the original transcripts, degrees, etc. The only document that is not original is the WES evaluation of my international undergraduate degree. Also the WES evaluation was done a long long time ago. Should I get a new evaluation? WES seems to take a week or more. Can you recommend an education evaluation service that is quick and acceptable for TN visa?

That is not a problem. What is an "original" from WES anyways? The person who signed it has moved on. If there is doubt, CBP will tell you.
Get a move on.

Both my future employer and the law firm it hired strongly prefer me to apply to USCIS for the TN status, even though I explained that applying at a POE is much quicker. The law firm even suggested that applying at BOE will not allow me to give notice, which seems incorrect from the discussions on this forum.

I work in a field which is a small world as everyone know each other or their friends, so giving notice is something I want to do.

Obviously you are more familiar with TN that they are, which is typical.
Go get your 2nd TN and keep your first, and then give notice.
They don’t understand concurrent TN

From discussion with the HR, it seemed that my future employer originally wanted me not giving notice to the current employer and so insisted on applying to USCIS. After I explained that it is important to me, they finally agreed to let me to apply at POE.

But they sent a G-28 form and told me to bring it with me. Is this required?