Rights of adoptive child

Ken Wescott

I am trying to find out what rights that the adoptive child has when it comes to citizenship and immigration to the US.
I am a Canadian by birth. I was adopted my my parents in 1964 when I was 2 1/2 yrs old. I read somewhere that if the child is adopted before the age of 3 then they are considered the natural child of the adoptive parents for citizenship and immigration purposes to the US. Can someone confirm or deny this? Also could you point me to the address of where I can find this information so that I may print it and have a hard copy. I am attempting to obtain citizenship through my grandparents. Thank you
kgoofy7@yahoo.com

No Title

You will need to contact INS or the US Embassy where you live for an legally accurate answer. However the simple answer is: Someone has been blowing smoke at you. An adopted child is always an adopted child, and is not treated as a biological child under immigration or other law. In 1964, an adopted child could only become a US citizen by naturalization as an adult after becoming a permanent resident. The law changed in1978 permitting adopted children who were permanent residents and residing with their permanent resident parents to naturalize along with them.