RFE for Ead??

sarthi

Registered Users (C)
I recieved a RFE for EAD asking for photoidentification such as driver licence and first and last page of passport. When i read some of the posts in this forum, they mentioned about the color copies of the above documents. But i was told that it is illegal to take color copies of government issued documents like driver licence, passport etc.

what should i do??just go ahead and take clear b/w copies and send it to INS.

any advice is appreciated!!!

RD date:4/6/04
nd date:4/7/04
RFE:6/5/04
service center:TSC

Last edited by a moderator:
For Sarthi

You can show the RFE at UPS or other store and they will make the color photocopy. Let them know it is asked by Govt. itself. I think you must send the color one.

Sarthi,

No one in the world is going to ask you about what are u photo-copying (color or whatever), so just go ahead and do it.

-Arjun

Sarthi,

When did you receive letter after RFE ,Does the letter goes to lawyer or came to you ?

Thanks.

There is no need for color copies. My attorney just asked me for a clear picture and they accepted the same.

Mr. Santos,

The balck&white copies are not always clear. Color ones are far far better. But then again if I were you, I would not wait for an RFE. Even clear pictures to BCIS are sometimes not clear ;)

-Arjun

Photo Copies

Check if you photocopy machine as an option that allows you to select whether you are copying a document or a photo. Select the picture option to photocopy any document that a picture. The copies come out real clear and light.

sarthi said:
I recieved a RFE for EAD asking for photoidentification such as driver licence and first and last page of passport. When i read some of the posts in this forum, they mentioned about the color copies of the above documents. But i was told that it is illegal to take color copies of government issued documents like driver licence, passport etc.

what should i do??just go ahead and take clear b/w copies and send it to INS.

any advice is appreciated!!!

RD date:4/6/04
nd date:4/7/04
RFE:6/5/04
service center:TSC
These are the following facts as far as I know:
1. It is ILLEGAL to take a color photocopy of documents that can be used for identification purposes. This is posted prominently in most (if not all) public domain copying locations.

2. USCIS WILL NOT ask for color copies as a rule. But there may be exceptions. If they have you can go ahead and take a copy and retain the request for a color copy as proof.

3. When we had filed our EAD renewals, I went through similar disucssions and finally decided that we will provide clear balck-and-white copies of my DL and Passport that will unambigously be recognizable as being the same person.

We did get an RFE but that was because the ADIT style photos were bad. We had to get that repeated and we were ok.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Guys/Gals,

I have applied for my 2nd EAD 5 months ago (VSC), my first EAD is expiring in 2 weeks, I saw the on-line message this morning saying that BCIS sent me an RFE.. My question is can I apply for an IEAD at the local BCIS office while I have an RFE , I don't think BCIS will approve my 2nd EAD before my first EAD expires.

Any input is very much appreciated..

Cheers,
Myself...

Well, the RFE came to my attorney ,and when i talked to him today, he said it was clear copies for photoidentification(no mention of color copies).But i felt to be on the safe side to send color copies.But after the kinko guy(kinko copies)mentioned that it was illegal to take color copies of govenment issued docs(he also said that he himself or i may get into trouble),we took clear b/w copies of driver licence and passport pages and sent it to attorney.

Lets hope for the best.

Sarthi

sarthi said:
Well, the RFE came to my attorney ,and when i talked to him today, he said it was clear copies for photoidentification(no mention of color copies).But i felt to be on the safe side to send color copies.But after the kinko guy(kinko copies)mentioned that it was illegal to take color copies of govenment issued docs(he also said that he himself or i may get into trouble),we took clear b/w copies of driver licence and passport pages and sent it to attorney.

Lets hope for the best.

Sarthi

My lawyer asked for the color copies of my driver's licence. I got it done form kinkos. The lady said that its illegal but I said that its for the INS for immigration purposes and she did it.

I guess it depends person to person..

illegal in most states to make color copies of state issued drivers license, but not illegal to make color copies of passport issued by your country. (Which I'm assuming is not United States, else you would not be in this forum...) So send in b&w copies of drivers license, zoom in if you must for clarity, and send in color photocopy of your passport identification page...
just my 2 cents.......

My lawyer insisted that I send color copies. I tried OfficeMax, Staples, Mailboxes etc. and everybody refused. I did not have color printer at home. So I scanned the documents and sent it to my lawyer who printed them out in color and send it alongwith my application.

When she sent my EAD renewal package to USCIS, she sent the normal sized color copy and also a zoomed in (larger) copy for clarity sake.

I would definitely recommend sending color copies.

Do you need a Driver License for EAD

All

I have seen people are talking about driver license here. I don't think my lawyer asked for that when then submit the 140+485+EAD+AP. Looks like I am going to get a RFE on my EAD /AP as per online stauts (though my attoenry yet to receive the letter). Can that be a reason.

Do you really a driver license for Identification purpose in the whole process??

Please let me know

The requirement is either a copy of drivers license or ID page from your passport. Most lawyers I know send both...

adgwlgc said:
All

I have seen people are talking about driver license here. I don't think my lawyer asked for that when then submit the 140+485+EAD+AP. Looks like I am going to get a RFE on my EAD /AP as per online stauts (though my attoenry yet to receive the letter). Can that be a reason.

Do you really a driver license for Identification purpose in the whole process??

Please let me know

Driver's license

:( Me and my wife are getting an RFE on EAD. if it is regarding photoidentification, My wife doesn't have a driver's license, is it OK to send the passport copy only? Do they mention that both of them are required?

for achawla

If the RFE is about requesting a clear copy of identification, here is how the text is:

-------------------
Please submit a photocopy of the personal data pages of your passport, which include your photograph and biographic information.

This photocopy must be clear and readable in order to accurately determine the photo identity.

You may also provide any other documentation such as a copy of your driver's license, or any other photo identification.
-------------------------
I received this RFE last week.

advise me if signature card is required?

My lawyer did not ask me to send SIGNATURE CARD for 2nd EAD(I mean EAD renewal) do you know if I will get RFE?Actually there was no signature card in my application packet for renewal that was sent by my lawyer.However, I remember sending signature card while filling my first EAD application.

sairam1 said:
These are the following facts as far as I know:
1. It is ILLEGAL to take a color photocopy of documents that can be used for identification purposes. This is posted prominently in most (if not all) public domain copying locations.

2. USCIS WILL NOT ask for color copies as a rule. But there may be exceptions. If they have you can go ahead and take a copy and retain the request for a color copy as proof.

3. When we had filed our EAD renewals, I went through similar disucssions and finally decided that we will provide clear balck-and-white copies of my DL and Passport that will unambigously be recognizable as being the same person.

We did get an RFE but that was because the ADIT style photos were bad. We had to get that repeated and we were ok.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

RFE to local office

We have received the RFE on EAD Renewal. Can we take the RFE requested documents to local office and try for IEAD? We were denied first time as there was an RFE and they didn't know details about it. They asked us to call VSC to request for the RFE in mail.

Now since I have RFE in hand and I have crossed 90 days of EAD renewal renewal time, can I take RFE and request local office again in person.

Please share any similar experience or please assist.

Normally how much time VSC takes to reply to RFE? I am on leave of absence and I don't know how long I have to wait. :( I will be replying to my RFE this week and VSC should get it in mid next week.