Returning to India

hopeofgc

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

What would be best thing if returning to India by keeping the status secured in US? I got GC 2 yrs back. Now, we are thinking of going back to India afer 2 yrs or so.

Or is it better do that after becoming US citizen?

What are the pros and cons if returning to India on GC and US Citizen?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Gurus,

What would be best thing if returning to India by keeping the status secured in US? I got GC 2 yrs back. Now, we are thinking of going back to India afer 2 yrs or so.

Or is it better do that after becoming US citizen?

What are the pros and cons if returning to India on GC and US Citizen?

Please let me know.

Thanks
1. You have to pay US Taxes (or diff between host country vs US taxes) regardless of GC (if you want to keep GC) or Citizen .

2. Coming back after prolonged stay outside US on GC is risky. USCitizen can stay outside for any length and come back with no risk.

3. Host country may special laws about noncitizens (if you are citizen of US and not of host country) that may put you at disadvantage as far as cost of schools, benefits etc. GC and/or having host country citizenship helps. Having citizenship of only US may be disadvantageous.

You said you've been here for 2 years and will stay for another 2 before going back? It would be better if you stayed for another 3, become citizens, and then go back to India.

As an LPR, you are expected to live and work in the US. A reentry permit will allow extended absences. If you did not intend to make the US your home, why did you deny someone else that opportunity? It is a pretty selfish and self centered act.

You said you've been here for 2 years and will stay for another 2 before going back? It would be better if you stayed for another 3, become citizens, and then go back to India.

Thanks cafeconleche for your suggestion. I am thinking on same lines.....could stay for another 3 yrs for becoming US Citizenship.

1. You have to pay US Taxes (or diff between host country vs US taxes) regardless of GC (if you want to keep GC) or Citizen .

----> If i (GC or US Citizenship) find a job outside of US, then i need to pay income tax to US? How insane? So, i end up paying taxes for both US and India....i can't beleive it!

2. Coming back after prolonged stay outside US on GC is risky. USCitizen can stay outside for any length and come back with no risk.

-----> I could apply for Re-entry permit on GC.

3. Host country may special laws about noncitizens (if you are citizen of US and not of host country) that may put you at disadvantage as far as cost of schools, benefits etc. GC and/or having host country citizenship helps. Having citizenship of only US may be disadvantageous

------> I didn't think on that side.....cost of living would goes up for US citizens. Could i apply for dual citizenship? Thanks for sharing that info. What about jobs?

--

As an LPR, you are expected to live and work in the US. A reentry permit will allow extended absences. If you did not intend to make the US your home, why did you deny someone else that opportunity? It is a pretty selfish and self centered act.

I understand, the purpose of obtaining the GC was to make US as my home. We decided to stay in US then. However, my wife wants to make it a return to India, so we are now toying with this idea. Decisions could be changed with the time for the welfare of the family.

You are generally exempt from paying taxes on your foreign income of up to $80k or so, but you should consult with a tax attorney first. You don't necessarily have to PAY US taxes on worldwide income, but you should definitely FILE.

India doesn't allow dual citizenship, but OCI will work fine for you as long as you don't intend to run for public office, vote, or buy agricultural land. You can stay and work in India for as long as you want, and buy regular property.

I understand people want to leave the US sometimes but would prefer to retain rights to come back to the US. I don't see that as a problem. This is an interdependent world, and it's all a part of the system. I suggest you stay, get naturalised, and then make a change if you still want to. It won't be much longer. With a re-entry permit, yes, you can come back to the US, but it'll only work if you want to leave TEMPORARILY and come back after that. It doesn't look like that's a definite plan of yours, so forget it.

Good luck.