Returning Canada: Child Canadian Citizenship + OHIP

chandu20

I think that some of the viewers may have seen this situation. One of my Canadian friend is going back to Canada after TN-status job completion. For their two months old child (US born + US passport), they will be applying for their child Canadian Citizenship. Online it says it takes about 12 months to receive Canadian Citizenship certificate.

1. While in Canada, is there a way to get OHIP (Ontario's health care plan) card earlier before the Canadian citizenship is awarded in 12 months?
2. Can be Canadian Citizenship obtained earlier if applying from within Canada?

1. You will not need the actual card to get OHIP. Once the parents prove that they live in Ontario to their satisfaction, the infant will be covered at the same time.

2. There is no way to speed up the process from Sydney, so they should start now. Remember that the child is a Cdn citizen. The card is merely acknowledgement.

I think that some of the viewers may have seen this situation. One of my Canadian friend is going back to Canada after TN-status job completion. For their two months old child (US born + US passport), they will be applying for their child Canadian Citizenship. Online it says it takes about 12 months to receive Canadian Citizenship certificate.

1. While in Canada, is there a way to get OHIP (Ontario's health care plan) card earlier before the Canadian citizenship is awarded in 12 months?
2. Can be Canadian Citizenship obtained earlier if applying from within Canada?
There is no way that you can directly apply for Canadian citizenship for the child, you have to apply for Permanent residency for the child, and once you have obtained that there is a 3 month waiting period to be qualified for OHIP for a new PR of Canada. As for the Canadian parents they also have to wait for 3 months once they return to Ontario to be eligible under OHIP since they were not Ontario residents. I hope this helps. https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

Chicago, the child is Canadian automatically at birth. They are merely applying for the Cit Card. As I said, once the parents are eligible, the child will be also. No need for PR step whatsoever.

Chicago, the child is Canadian automatically at birth. They are merely applying for the Cit Card. As I said, once the parents are eligible, the child will be also. No need for PR step whatsoever.
I thought the user said the child was born in the US and has a US passport.

Yes. He, like all US-born children of Cdn citizens (other than diplomats or military), are automatically dual citizens at birth.