Research for a book on Relocation

jo_b

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone

I'm attempting to fulfill one of my ambitions and write a book about Relocating - i searched high and low when we moved to find ANYTHING remotely helpful and found nothing, so i've finally got my bottom into gear and am determined to do it.

But i need your help to do a bit of research; i'd love your opinions and stories about your own move overseas. If you would like to be a part of this or if there's anything you'd like to say, i'd be really grateful if you would fill in this questionnaire and send it on to me. Just copy and paste the text below into a blank email, answer the questions you want to ( feel free to add anything!) and send it to me at berghill@xtra.co.nz Thanks so much for your help! Love jo xx

1. When did you move and why?
2. Did you know anyone over there already and if so, did this help you to settle in?
3. What are the main differences between the house/area/neighbourhood you lived in in your home country and where you live now. How do the houses compare? Is there more space etc, What's the surrounding area like? (Did you rent/buy previously/now – how are prices different?)
4. What were the biggest adjustments you had to make when you emigrated? What surprised you about your new country and did it live up to your expectations?
5. How do the children's schools compare? Did they settle in easily? Do they speak a different language now? Was it easy for them to pick up the national curriculum?
6. How is your diet different to that in your home country? Are there any foods you really miss?
7. Financially, is your quality of life better in your new country? If so, in what ways? In what ways does your money go further over there/what things are more expensive?
8. How do you and your family spend your leisure time and how does that compare to how you spent it in your home country? What are your children able to do over there that they can't do in your home country?
9. What are your working hours like and how do they compare to your previous job?
10. What is the comparative cost of childcare? What problems have you faced over there and what benefits have you experienced bringing up your children as ex-pats?
11. Do you mix with lots of other ex-pats? Do your kids consider themselves XXX (from that country)?
12. Have you ever considered returning to your home country? Do you think you will eventually?
13. What do you miss about your home country? Can you remember a specific incident when you wished your family/friends were there or wished your were back at home?
14. How often do you come back home? Do you speak to family members/friends regularly?
15. Does your new country feel like home to you or will you always feel like a foreigner?
16. One unusual/unexpected thing about living in that country?
17. Comparative costs of healthcare? How does it compare in terms of quality?