requirement for applying for citizenship

mariah09

hi. im a permenent resident and ive been here in the us for 18 years now. my question is..i have lived the 5 years continous residency requirement and planning on travelling outside the us this january 2010. i will be gone for at least 1 month and will file for citizenship application when i come back the following month.. would that complicate the application process.? do i have to be in the us months before i apply? also, if i file now then leave the country for a month (while its in the process), would that be a problem? thanks!

i have lived the 5 years continous residency requirement

... I presume this is not 5 years in past 18 years but you are talking about last 5 years compliant with the residency requirements

i will be gone for at least 1 month and will file for citizenship application when i come back the following month..

... going for a month is not an issue unless your residency calculations are borderline. otherwise, there are no complications because of travel before or after filing.

ok so theres not going to be any issue if i file now and leave the country for about 1 month while the application is in process?

ok so theres not going to be any issue if i file now and leave the country for about 1 month while the application is in process?

Given how fast the process is, with some offices averaging 90-120 days from mail to Oath, things could get interesting. However, being that the first step is FP, it can be rescheduled easily, or done as a walk-in, while steps later in the process may be more difficult (or painful :D) to reschedule.

If you know that the 1 month is deterministic, mail it in from the airport and you'll likely be back before FP. If the 1 month turns into 3 or so because you love the local cuisine or sights or weather or some such, all bets could be off.

i will be gone for at least 1 month and will file for citizenship application when i come back the following month..

Which one is it? Filing before you leave or after you leave?

If you file after you return, as long as you are returning to reside in the same district area you're fine. However, if you return to reside in a different service, you must first establish 3 months of residency in that service area before you can file.