Requesting DMV information before applying for naturalization

axter

Hi guys, I will soon apply for citizenship and I would like to check my DMV history.

Is there a way for me to request my original application and all those times that I renewed?

The documents that I use every time (including my first time getting a DL) are I-20, I-94, my home country passport.

Basically, the whole point of this is to check to see if I have ever checked "US Citizen" part on the application and renewals. All of my DLs have been very short between 1-2 years due to my I-20s.

But I would still like to check those applications to make sure before applying for N-400.

Is there anyone that can provide some advice on this?

My driver licenses tell me that I have never claimed to be US citizen on the applications because of their durations which are always based on my I-20 (I would have five-year DLs if I claimed to be a USC in CA).

But I'm very paranoid and want to confirm by retrieving my applications.

Last edited:
One way to overcome any doubts/concerns is to contact the State Dept. of your state. I'll also be eligible to submit my N-400 soon, so to be perfectly sure, I contacted the State Dept. of my state and got a confirmation from them (via email) that I was NOT registered to vote. I lived in at least 5 states since coming to the U.S., and according to Vote.org (which may have records for all states going back a few years) I wasn't registered to vote in any of those states.