Request information regarding travel to Canada on Indian passport expiring within 8 months

perinaz

Hi,

My passport is expiring on 3rd October 2011 and am travelling from Mumbai, India to Canada in the month of May/June 2011 on a Permanent Residents Visa of Canada (one time entry visa) which expires in July 2011.

The local passport office in Mumbai, India were not able to answer my question satisfactorily. Other sources like travel agents and frequent travellers, etc. say that I will not be allowed to travel as I have to travel six months prior to expiration of the passport.

I had written to the Immigration Section of the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi regarding my predicament and they replied saying that I must travel on the same passport (passport expiring on 3rd October 2011) on which my Permanent Residents Visa is pasted and the same can be renewed from Indian Embassy in Canada. I have attached their email for your perusal.

Can you please advice on the procedure and the course of action to be taken?

Thank you,

Regards,
P. Mistry

The validity of six months is preferred only if you are on a visit/temporary visa as most countries give six months entry on temporary visas.
You are immigrating to Canada and you will do just fine with your current passport, once in Canada you can renew through the embassy or if you travel back before the expiration than you can do it from India as well, by that time you will have the Canadian PR card that will work with the new Passport.

Hi,

My passport is expiring on 3rd October 2011 and am traveling from Mumbai, India to Canada in the month of May/June 2011 on a Permanent Residents Visa of Canada (one time entry visa) which expires in July 2011.

The local passport office in Mumbai, India were not able to answer my question satisfactorily.
---------Why the Mumbai Passport office will answer or know the entry requirement with Indian passport to Canada?

Other sources like travel agents and frequent travelers, etc. say that I will not be allowed to travel as I have to travel six months prior to expiration of the passport.
---- That is for Visitors. You are immigrating to Canada as PR and I don't see any problem.
I had written to the Immigration Section of the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi regarding my predicament and they replied saying that I must travel on the same passport (passport expiring on 3rd October 2011) on which my Permanent Residents Visa is pasted and the same can be renewed from Indian Embassy in Canada. I have attached their email for your perusal.
-----They are correct.. once in Canada you can renew your Passport from Indian Consulate/Embassy in Canada
Can you please advice on the procedure and the course of action to be taken?

Thank you,

Regards,
P. Mistry

------------------ Dont leave your job in Bombay, reach Canada try to know the job situation and if you are unable to find job you can remain 3 years out of Canada in any 5 years and still be PR of Canada.

Last edited by a moderator: