Reply From Congressman

bigwonder

Registered Users (C)
Locations : Greensboro, NC
Congressmen : Howard Cobell

Reply : "We are sorry to hear about delays at TSC, but we cannot do anything. They have to do extra background and security checks since 9/11 which causes extra delays."

I thought of this as a very blunt answer.

RD : 08/02/01
ND : 09/07/01
FP : 04/04/03
EAD & AP : 1 Renewal
AD : God knows

Thanks

Thanks for your effort. Probably this congressman is not a pro-immigration person. The same background and security checks are done by other service centers and they don’t have this backlog or virtual stoppage of I-485’s. I got a mildly positive response from the Texas Senator (saying that he will enquire with the TSC about these delays) but nothing concrete yet. Perhaps the Senator from NC is more receptive.

bajis,
A 72 year old conservative, single, Republican congressman (http://www.congress.org/congressorg/bio/?id=445) ... I don't think he cares about anything anymore.

I think you pictured him exactly.

I only contacted him because one of my colleage asked me to (he used to play tennis with him and mentioned him as a helpful guy, guess not).

Lets all of us hold on to the hope that processing will resume.

You never no when big wonders happen,

if delays are due to 09/11 , then why vermont is one year ahead of texes and why eads,finger prints,receipt notices are fast in Vermont.

I dont agry with him

if delays are due to 09/11 , then why vermont is one year ahead of texes and why eads,finger prints,receipt notices are fast in Vermont.

I dont agry with him

bigwonder,

You did your part in contacting your congressman. Hats off to you. If we all did our part, may be someone might hear us.

similar experience

I tried the same with another senator. Did not work.
His reply was similar (republican). Well, he lost election after that.

tru,

I am curious as to who this Texas Senator is from whom you received a mildly positive response. I was aware that Senator Phil Gramm, although very conservative republican but was a strong proponent of legal immigration based on merits. He was helpful too (at least I have heard) but he retired last year.

sg_rg

I don't know whether you folks from Texas, particularly Houston area, have approached Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee. I believe she is a member of the House committee on immigration and has views that are shared by most members of this board.

I remember when President Bush was kind of steam-rolling his policy to legalize all illegal aliens from our southern neighor prior to 9/11 (possibly for political gains), Congresswoman Jackson-Lee publicly spoke out against it. She opined that such a dangerous preceedent not be set and that immigration should be based on merits or family reasons.

The Texas Senator I sent to was John Cornyn. I think Phil Gramm’s term has expired. John’s name is what came up in the senate search and also he is in the immigration committee and so is Shiela Jackson (Houston).