Replacement for old green card with no expiration date

vetfrm78

Registered Users (C)
I have one of those old green cards issued over 25 years ago that has no expiration date. I am planning to apply for naturalization in the next 2-3 months; do I still need to get a replacement card, since USCIS claims the old GC is not valid any more, or can I go ahead and apply for citizenship?

I wonder if any of you have had any experience with this type of situation.

I am sure you need to file I-90

I am sure that you need to obtain new one since the one you have, has been announce invalid. This does not have anything to do with naturalization and it's about validation of document itself. Also to order to apply for citizenship valid GC is required. Just to be safe call USCIS or get Infopass and make sure and this might save you some $.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be the devil's advocate and would try to apply without renewing the GC, and avoid the extra time and expense. By the way, I am not sure if there was a final rule on this, so you might be fine applying with that Green Card. Has someone a pointer to a final rule on this type of card?

I have one of those old green cards issued over 25 years ago that has no expiration date. I am planning to apply for naturalization in the next 2-3 months; do I still need to get a replacement card, since USCIS claims the old GC is not valid any more, or can I go ahead and apply for citizenship?

I wonder if any of you have had any experience with this type of situation.

USCIS proposed a rule back in 2007 that would make it mandatory to replace these cards, but a final rule has yet to be published. Until a final rule comes out, there is no need to replace a green card without an expiration date for naturalization purposes (although USCIS encourages renewing these cards for obvious reasons).

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/I551Replacement.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you dont travel, you're fine. no need to waste more bucks during this crisis.....
They have you in the system.

Can I ask why you waited 25 years before applying???

My green card was expired for more than 10 years, (i didn't know it).
Anyways, when I wanted to renew it, my Lawyer told me why not go
straight for citizenship instead, and she told me that I did not need to renew my greencard, that my card may be expired but not my status, and that way I don't need to spend extra $$$ renewing it.

But for peace of mind, since I've heard from before it can take up to 2 years for Naturalization process, I insisted of renewing my card, and filed for N400 11 days apart and the process was sooo quick, and now i'm thinking I could have save me $850! :(

--------------------------------
OAKLAND PARK, FLORIDA
4/02/09 Filed I-90 application/Replacement Alien Card
4/06/09 I-90 Notice Date for Biometrix
4/13/09 Filed N-400
4/17/09 USCIS receipt of N-400
4/27/09 Biometrix appointment
5/14/09 I-90 Approval Notice
6/12/09 Appointment Letter for N-400 Interview
6/15/09 Alien Card production delayed
7/14/09 Alien Card Received
7/21/09 Naturalization Interview / Pass
8/08/09 Oath Ceremony Received
8/21/09 Oath Ceremony/US CITIZEN!!!

My green card was expired for more than 10 years, (i didn't know it).
Anyways, when I wanted to renew it, my Lawyer told me why not go
straight for citizenship instead, and she told me that I did not need to renew my greencard, that my card may be expired but not my status, and that way I don't need to spend extra $$$ renewing it.

But for peace of mind, since I've heard from before it can take up to 2 years for Naturalization process, I insisted of renewing my card, and filed for N400 11 days apart and the process was sooo quick, and now i'm thinking I could have save me $850! :(

OAKLAND PARK, FLORIDA
4/02/09 Filed I-90 application/Replacement Alien Card
4/06/09 I-90 Notice Date for Biometrix
4/13/09 Filed N-400
4/17/09 USCIS receipt of N-400
4/27/09 Biometrix appointment
5/14/09 I-90 Approval Notice
6/12/09 Appointment Letter for N-400 Interview
6/15/09 Alien Card production delayed
7/14/09 Alien Card Received
7/21/09 Naturalization Interview / Pass
8/08/09 Oath Ceremony Received
8/21/09 Oath Ceremony/US CITIZEN!!!
So that it is her word against yours. And you do not know the truth.

So that it is her word against yours. And you do not know the truth.

She is a very good Immigration attorney, and she's not the only immigration attorney i contacted and both said the same thing.
But i had a knot in my stomach for couple of days then I decided to just go ahead and pay up $850 for 1-90 + N400.

Want her # :)

Question 23 of the guide states you must renew a green card with an expiry date if you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before expiry date on card.

If you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident Card, or do not apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Question 23 of the guide states you must renew a green card with an expiry date if you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before expiry date on card.

If you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before the expiration date on your Permanent Resident Card, or do not apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

well....I'll email both Lawyers the link and see what they'll say :) Thanks

now i'm starting not to feel so bad about my $850.

I haven't seen a final rule either; my wife had the same situation, but in her case, when she traveled outside the US last time, the officer made a notation on her GC to apply for the replacement card. So I got a replacement card for her - also because she may travel soon. I know of a friend who applied for and got her citizenship without getting the replacement GC.

When I called USCIS, I have, on two different occassions got different answers - one saying that I should apply for the replacement, and one saying that if I am applying within 6 mos. for citizenship, I don't need the replacement GC. So I'm not sure if they know what the right answer is either.

I guess I am just trying to save some time, money and additional paperwork.

It's not my money, but I think you should be able to apply with your current Green Card without renewing it. You can always claim that you weren't sure if the issue comes during interview. I think you should be fine. I believe the main reason to ask for retiring those cards from circulation is to strengthen I-9 applications and submit people to criminal checks. If you apply for naturalization they are going to do the criminal background checks anyway during the N-400 processing, and the I-9 doesn't apply in this case as you are applying to become a citizen and they have your entire A-File. Anyway, my vote goes to not spend the extra money for renewing the Green Card.