Rentry Permit knowledge by CBP officers

kukumjacka

Registered Users (C)
Last weekend I had a quick trip to Tijuana through San Ysidro border crossing. Just to be sure in case Mexican immigration was going to check me, I brought both GC and RP and of course there was no check from Mex immigration. Back to USA, there's 3 of us in the car. We hand our documents in a stack to the officer at the booth, my GC tucked in inside the RP. He looks at it, then asks me how I got this document. I tell him I applied for it and he's a little unsure what to do with it. Then he looks at my GC and realizes they both belong to the same person, and says "oh I didn't realize the GC was yours"
We got sent to secondary, small issue with my friend's visa. She was brought inside while I and the other person (USC) remained in the car. While we were waiting, 3 officers approached the car and all wanted to look at my RP. They all asked to see it since they had never seen one before. Since I come from a country that no longer exists, I explained that this is the way I travel internationally. They flipped it and opened it, all curious to see what it was and what it looked like. It was interesting to me to see the lack of knowledge some officers have on some issues, though it does make sense because most GC holders will either present their NP with CG or just GC when entering. I was secretly hoping I'd get another entry to USA stamp... but they didn't give me one. Oh well :)