Renewing TN with the same employer

roommate_jan

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions in regards to the renewal process. My current TN with the employer will expire in October, I don't want to risk at the POE because of the NAFATA negotiation.

1. If I file the renewal inside by mail, who would be the petitioner and who would pay for the fee: My employer or myself?
2. If hypnotically the renewal through mail is rejected, is it possible to go back to POE to apply for a renewal?
3. Has anyone successfully get a TN at the landline close to Montreal?

Thanks a lot,
G

1 - If you file from within, you need an employer who can provide his EIN and sign for it using the I129 form.
2 - The fee is $450.00 or so, and you can certainly pay it, but since its a petition, the approval I797 will go to your employer, you will have to collect it from them.
3 - You dont have to use premium processing because you are not changing employers, the wait time now is about 6 months based on the USCIS site, so you can definetely work for 6 more months.
4 - I have never tried near Montreal, but I think the Vermont border crossing has agents who understand this process well.

If you do go to the border crossing then please help everyone on this board by telling us -
a - Which border crossing you used
b - What were the questions asked and the overall experience
c - If any additional documentation was sought , something out of the ordinary

Thank you.

I think borders close to Canada generally have agents who understand the process well. I have heard lot of good things about Ogdensburg POE too (2 hrs from Montreal)

Good luck

Thanks to both of you for the quick response. I will get the documents ready, and try at the border then. Once it's done, I will come back to update. Hopefully, I could still come back... LOL...:rolleyes:

Hi All, One more question: can you finish this on the same day? ( Drive to Canada and come back to US), or do you have to stay over for a night???

you can do it on the same day *but* dont tell the agent: "I will get my TN and turn back". Just enter the US and then you can come back after (maybe) spending 1-2 hrs

I don't want to risk at the POE because of the NAFATA negotiation.
I don't think this would matter until NAFTA is actually changed, and if NAFTA were changed, renewing by mail would be be affected also.

Hi All, One more question: can you finish this on the same day? ( Drive to Canada and come back to US),
Absolutely! You can literally U-Turn and drive straight back the USA once you cross Canada border security. In fact, you may want to simply park on the USA side and walk through both border stations if it's faster.

Assuming you're Canadian citizen, the Canadian border guards don't care if you're intending to return for 3 minutes or 3 decades.

USA border officers likewise don't care how long since you left the USA. It's INCREDIBLY common for TN applicants to travel to the border specifically for new TN applications..

I would caution against doing that. One should officially enter. Border agents do not like people telling them I am here for just TN and then I want to turn back. If I were you, I'd actually enter the US and then go back to Canada after a bit

I would caution against doing that. One should officially enter. Border agents do not like people telling them I am here for just TN and then I want to turn back. If I were you, I'd actually enter the US and then go back to Canada after a bit
I am actually working in US now...I will drive to a POE for a TN renewal.

1. He will of course "officially enter" Canada. That's what happens when someone passes through CBSA. It's no more or less an official entry because he makes a u-turn immediately after clearance.
2. IMO you're wrong that Canadian border agents "do not like" Canadians telling them they're returning to Canada purely so they can make TN application. It happens all the time. But even if such a guard exists, their dislike doesn't really matter, since admission of a Canadian into Canada isn't up to border agents' discretion.
3. Why would you tell him to go back to Canada AFTER his TN is approved? That doesn't get him anything more (in regards to his TN)

Hello, everyone. I was able to successfully renew my TN at the CPB office located 237 w service road, Champlain NY.12919 today. Overall, it took me less than 20 mins. They did not ask tricky questions. Trade war should have nothing to do with TN1.

Make sure your TN letter and all supporting documents match your background.

Thank you all for your help and replies.