Renewing TN visa before expiration date at border

STremblay

Hi everyone,

I understand that through the mail-in option, a TN visa can be renewed up to 6 month before expiration. But what is the earliest limit if the visa is renewed at the border (POE) ?

For new TN visa applications, admission at POE are permitted up to 10 days before start date. But what is the earliest limit when you *already* have a valid TN visa and you are looking to renew *before* expiration? Can you renew whenever you want?

Details: I am a Canadian citizen with a TN expiration on August 31st, and planning to renew at the border 14 days before expiration. Will this be allowed, or will I be turned back and told to come back closer to my expiration date/new start date?

Any advice welcome.
Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone,

I understand that through the mail-in option, a TN visa can be renewed up to 6 month before expiration. But what is the earliest limit if the visa is renewed at the border (POE) ?

For new TN visa applications, admission at POE are permitted up to 10 days before start date. But what is the earliest limit when you *already* have a valid TN visa and you are looking to renew *before* expiration? Can you renew whenever you want?

Details: I am a Canadian citizen with a TN expiration on August 31st, and planning to renew at the border 14 days before expiration. Will this be allowed, or will I be turned back and told to come back closer to my expiration date/new start date?

Any advice welcome.
Thanks a lot!

For my last TN, I went 3 weeks ahead.. didn't face any issues.. however, I lost few days of status validity as I went in 3 weeks before the existing validity... but, to be safe, 1-2 weeks should be fine

Any longer than a couple of weeks risks being told to come back later, unless their is a material change to the renewal.