Renewing PR vs Citizenship

Mary_R

Hello,

I'm looking to get some insight on whether I should renew my 10 year permanent resident card (received through marriage) or apply for citizenship.

My green card expires next year. Within the next 15 years, I will more than likely move back to Canada rather than stay in the US.

Are there any downsides to renewing PR card vs applying for citizenship??

I'm assuming the process to renew PR is a lot easier than obtaining citizenship.

Whether you opt to renew the GC or apply for US citizenship is a personal matter. What are your obligations in the US vs in Canada. Do you have a family/job/home in the US?

If you do not intend to live in the US in the long term, don't apply for US citizenship. Simply renew your green card using the i90 form. Of course that means permanent residency in the US and filing US tax returns, as you should already know.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I have a job here and married with two children. I'm renting my house and don't plan to buy a home in the US.

If I renew my green card using i90, would I have to go through the interview process and biometrics again??

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I have a job here and married with two children. I'm renting my house and don't plan to buy a home in the US.

If I renew my green card using i90, would I have to go through the interview process and biometrics again??
You would just need to do biometrics if you plan on renewing your GC.

Something to consider, what you know now, you know now - your situation or opinion or circumstances can and often do change. If you leave the US in the future with only your GC and don't meet the requirements to keep it, i.e. 6 months of residency, you lose your GC. Given the ever changing political winds, getting a GC or even your citizenship can become more restrictive in the future. My opinion, even if you are certain at this point you intend to permanently move to Canada, still get your citizenship - because you just never know and you never know if things get bad in Canada. You can always renounce your US citizenship in the future, but you may never get the opportunity to acquire it again.