Renewing Indian Passport With GC through Asylum

WoosterLad

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone who has received a GC through Asylum applied to renew his/her Indian passport? Has the "AS6" category raised a red flag with someone at the Indian Consulate? Did they turn you down?

My Indian passport expired back in 2003 but now that I've received my GC, I'm wondering how safe it is to apply to renew my passport.

Thoughts? Ramifications?

I tried few years ago ( After my asylum approved but before I got GC), but they turned me down.

I spoke to an attorney about this and per him legally they can't deny you passport. But, the problem is, in the form itself they make you state that you never applied for Asylum and you have to notarize it. Don't know what can they if you lie. I would rather go there and them them j** you can't refuse me passport. I am citizen by birth.
But i am also anxious to know if anyone ever tried ?

If you think your embassy will turn you down when requesting a NP because of your exasylee status, just tell them you are an illegal alien in the USA and that you are planning on going back to your country and need to get a NP. What would they do?? Nothing, they will just issue one. Is not like this?

They won't issue you the passport if you show your GC, infact they will put that in their system and you will never get a passport from any of their consulate. And if you say you don't have any status here they will only issue you one way travel document. If you really want to travel for some emergency, you can plead your case to the consul and they do issue 6 months passport but they will write an observation on your passport that you have claimed asylum. The good thing is that their is no problem with indian airport authorities with that, my friend went through the same thing and came back without any problem. So good luck !!

Aniket,

Did you tell them you were on asylum? What reason did they give you?

Thanks!

Actully I went up there around year 2000 after my asylum was approved. Before that (before asylum approved) I had renewed my passport once and I showed them my work permit and they renewed without any problem. In 2000 again I showed them my work permit (I didn't have any idea about the code was changed on work permit) and they told me that your asylum is approved so we can not renew your Passport, now American Government going to take care of you. Than I asked him what to do if I have to visit my family, his answer was "you are not a BAD (T) person so we will issue you something". He wanted to keep my expired passport but I told him this is the only ID I got so he returned it to me.

I am wondering if I am still in their computer system. I had talked to one of the person (he is working as passport and visa agent and helping people to fill out the forms and taking their applications to Indian Embassy, etc.) and he told me that what they do is once they find out that you are asylee (when you go for renew the passport) they make file (hard copy) and they write down that file number on your passprot so if you try again than they just have to pull up your file and find out the history.

If they have entered my information in their computer and since it is almost 7 years I am wondring if they still have the record or they may just have hard copy. Please let me know if you guys have any information.

Indian consulate is the worst. They are very mean, rude and corrupt people. One attorney i consulted about renewing of asylee passport even told me they chareg $5000(ofcourse throught agents) to issue you a new passport without any questions. or if you don't have that much money ,go via nepal, see you family and come back via nepal.

Asylum application withdrawn - is it a problem to get NP

I am an Indian national living in USA for the last 9 years. When I came to the USA I was a minor and I applied for asylum under the misguidance of relatives and friends. But I never attended interview. Later I withdrew the application and filed for EB based green card under section 245(I). Labor has been approved and I-140 pending now. My question is can I apply for Indian passport? In the decleration section of the Indian Passport application, there is a line "I have neither applied for, nor been granted asylum." Although I applied for asylum, I withdrew it later on. Will this be a problem when applying for passport. I am in removal proceedings now. My employer had losses for the last few years so I am not sure about the 1-140 approval. I just want to go back if this 245(i) process does not work out. Please advise as to what would be the best way to get a passport. If anybody had a similar experience, please let me know. Thank you in advance for your replies.

For asylum applicants from India who successfully renewed their PP, please share your experience as to what are the questions asked at the consulate. Also if there are good agents/attorneys who can help with this, please let know. I saw in another reply that mentioning to the consulate that I am here illegally is better than asylum. Has anybody who is here "out of status" succesfully renewed thier passports? Please post your experience. Thank you.

Indian consulate has now changed their requirements/forms for renewal of expired passport. Now they are not asking for notarized statement that you have not applied for Asylum. Now they need 2 witnesses verifying that they know you.

Has anyone tried renewing expired passport recently at Indian consulate ?

Indian consulate is the worst. They are very mean, rude and corrupt people. One attorney i consulted about renewing of asylee passport even told me they chareg $5000(ofcourse throught agents) to issue you a new passport without any questions. or if you don't have that much money ,go via nepal, see you family and come back via nepal.

As you have mentioned that you can enter through Nepal. Is this true that you can land in nepal and take a domestic plane to your state ? Please give me an answer as I am an asylee and need to visit India.
Sonu