renewing green card online (I-90): first name with space, and others

sjlee

My green card is expiring soon, and I went to USCIS to submit I-90 to renew my green card. I went straight to the online option, as it sounded real convenient.

The problem is, my first name happens to have a space in it in the original green card (like "Abcd Efg"), but the online form wouldn't accept it. So I typed it without the space ("Abcdefg"). I completed and submitted the application, but then belatedly found out on their website that they recommended using a hyphen to go through the form. It says:

Restrictions on I-90 Name Field for Multi-Word First or Last Names

Due to a temporary system error, the e-Filing system currently does not accept first or last names with spaces without a dash, hyphen, or ampersand (&) symbol (e.g. Mary Kate is not accepted, but Mary-Kate is).

If your first or last name contains more than one non-hyphenated name, please enter a hyphen on your e-filed application, and bring one of the following documents with you to your Application Support Center (ASC) appointment to confirm the correct spelling of your name:

Birth certificate
Marriage license
Legal name change from court
Certified translated document (if document is not in English)

My question is, is this going to be a problem? I've already paid the fee and everything, and I hope that this will not be a problem.

Also, I've changed my address a couple of times since I got my green card, and I'm not sure if I changed the address with them. I used my current address in the I-90 form. Will this be also a problem?

Thanks!

Your name is sure going to be an issue, as the USCIS has clearly instructed to include a hyphen. I wish you had been more careful and read the instructions thoroughly! Regarding your change of address, since your current address is what you have entered on the application, it will not be a problem. You need to intimate the USCIS about a change of address only when you have shifted from the address that has been entered on the application.

Thanks for the response.

In the meantime, I did talk with a friend of mine who's an immigration attorney, and he said that it would probably be an issue but that he expects it wouldn't be something major. When I go to the fingerprinting appointment, they'll likely ask for clarification and then I could explain and provide documentation to correct the problem.

Do you think it will be more serious than that and more than a "hassle"? Thanks in advance!

Hi there,
It would be a good idea to take supporting documentation along to the interview for clarification. You can explain to the immigration officer about what really happened. If by luck, that officer is a nice person, then i think you will not face any further trouble. Still I would advise you to be well prepared for anything might happen. Keep us posted of the developments! Good Luck!!

Thanks. I can't think of any other documentation than my passport and the expiring green card that have the correct first name (with spaces). Any suggestions for other documentation that might help? Thanks in advance!

Passport will suffice. Since you are renewing your green card, the expiring one should be compulsorily produced at the USCIS. So take both of them to the interview. Does your birth certificate have the correct first name with spaces? If so you can take that also for additional proof.

I had the fingerprinting appointment last Friday, and it was uneventful.

I interacted with two people; the first person was reviewing the document first, and asked me (as part of routine questioning) if I had a name change. Then I explained the situation. He said that it would be no problem, and sent in me to wait for the fingerprinting session.

The person who was doing the fingerprinting went over the application and my expiring green card again to enter the records, and he noted the difference, and simply corrected my first name on data entry (with space). And then he entered the name without space as an alias. That was it!

Everything went without a hitch, and I don't think there will be a problem. Thanks much for the input!

Wow..That is really wonderful!! Happy for you!! Glad that everything went so smoothly. Thanks to those immigration officers!!