Renewal TN or Get A New TN

Smilegirl98

Hi All:

My current TN is going to be expired in March 2019. I am wondering if I should renew TN or switch a new job to get a new TN.

Which one is safer? Meaning the border officer would approve instead of denial. I have been working in US for over 11yrs so far. There was one time the border officer said he would only renew one time for me, looks like not easy to get renewal. Plus I am more concerned about current political environment and seems US government doesn't like foreign professionals to get american job.

My background is CPA and working as accountant for private industry.

Thanks for your insights!

Are you being forced into working in an environment that you believe isn't supportive of foreign professionals?

Someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in on the TN-related question..

Why would you change jobs just for the notion that you won’t be approved otherwise? There us no limit on renewals or years on TN.

Nelsona,thanks for the reply.

If I decide to renew TN next year ( go to border between Mexico and San Diego), should I present the same docs as first time applying for this TN or need any changes of the employment and petition letter for renewal purpose? In another words, what should I need to add in the letter?

renewal TN is technically a new TN. You'd bring all supporting docs (including a new letter from the employer) showing that you qualify for the TN

Thanks. I understand I need to bring all of the supporting docs. In my employment and petition letter, should I need to mention this is renewal? Or just simply request another three years?

Anything I need to emphasize in the letters?

Why would you change jobs just for the notion that you won’t be approved otherwise? There us no limit on renewals or years on TN.
I think Smilegirl98's concern is that the officer may judge her 11 years of continuous TN employment at the same company as "immigrant intent" and reject another TN entry.

I doubt anyone but a lawyer who assists with a large # of TN applications could quantify the risk of that happening. That said, I doubt switching employers will help if she runs into an officer who has that attitude.

Hi Grant2:

Thanks for your input.

I want to clarify that I worked for multiple employers during 11 yrs in US. Every TN I got was for different companies except the second TN which I mentioned above was for the same employer, it was renewal TN and officer said he wouldn't renew one more time.

I am deeply concerned with current Nafta renegotiation and border agent wouldn't easily approve new TN under due to the fact American job first under this administration .

TN is an American job. Don't pay too much heed to what a grumpy officer tells you as he is allowing you through. If he wasn't supposed to, he would stop you.