Renew of F-1 visa required while in opt

abyie

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Right now I am having a F-1 status which would be expiring in August 2005 as my visa was valid only for two years and would be graduating in May 2005.I have applied for OPT and it would be starting from August 1,2005.
Please let me know whether I would require to renew my F1 status while i m in OPT?

Secondly, If My H-1 processing starts, would it be a problem that I dont have a Valid F1 visa as it would have expired?

I would really appreciate your views.Please let me know and if possible send me any links regarding the issue.

Thankyou

you will still be in F-1 status on OPT, so your F-1 status expires August 2006.

YOur OPT MUST start within 60 days of your graduation.

F-1 visa required

Thx for your guidance.But could you let me know if there would be ny problem as my F-1 visa would have expired a year before my OPT ends and when I start my H-1 visa processing? Do they require my F-1 visa? Should I go back to India to get my F-1 visa extended just to be safe in future?Please let me know.

Thanks

visa is just a permission to enter the country. You can stay in the country for as long as your status lasts (I-20+OPT).

I understd that but will there not be a problem when I go to India to get my
H-1 visa stamped?
It will in my case be a risk to have an expired F-1 wudnt it?

Also can I kno how and when can one apply for an H-1?For example if a company wants to put papers for my H-1 when shud it start?

thx for the support

once again. The visa is a permission to enter the US. It could be issued for one day or for 5 years. Regardless, the person is authorised to stay in the US for the duration of the status, indicated on I-20 in your case and I-94. For F-1 people I-94 says D/S - duration of status, that is, until the expiration date on your I-20. Just because your visa expires, doesn't mean that the status has expired as well.

I got you...thx
I desire just a yes o rno for this one...Will I have any problems during my H-1 processing with an expired f-1 visa?

no, if it is just the visa that is expired. If you have an expired status - yes, you will have a problem. That's why I was explaining the difference between the two.

As for your question about H1 visa, you should direct your question at the company's lawyer. And the suitable subforum. :) Good luck!