Registered to vote yes or no

Bergis81

So here is a tricky question. Kind of..

I am a LPR and my wife is a US Citizen. She had read that LPR:s could vote in some local elections and wanted me to register to vote. So we went and did that. However, I did check the box saying NO to being a US Citizen but signed the form and submitted it. I should not have since it said that if you answer no you should not complete the form. I was sleep deprived and did not read the fine print. I identified myself with a foreign passport (surprisingly it did not raise any eyebrows).

The very next day having realized that "some local elections" did not apply to our state we both called and talked to the supervisor at the registration office. We were assured that we had nothing to worry about since I marked NO on being a citizen. I did show up in the system but on "status" it just said that I should contact the registration office because they needed more info before they could process the application. My wife followed up with the supervisor again the next day and was told that the form should never have been processed and that the supervisor should have caught it. It was confirmed (several times that I had not claimed to be a citizen). As far as they were concerned I was never registered since the application needs to be approved in order for someone to be "officially registered". We were also informed that it would have been automatically rejected even if we had not called. The supervisor had also deleted any entry about the application in the official database so nothing shows up.

My wife asked if we could have a copy of the form so that we could prove that I had answered no but the supervisor was reluctant to give us that saying that it had already been wiped from the system and that we should not worry about it at all.

What I am trying to figure out is this.. When it comes time to file the N-400 what should I answer on the question about having registered to vote? Right now I am leaning towards no since the registration never went through but I will consult a lawyer before I file anything.

I obviously had no intention of attempting to vote in any election that I am not allowed to vote in. Hence us taking action less than 24 hours after the fact.

Appreciate any input on this.

If I recall correctly there are 2 parts to the question - have you ever registered to vote or voted? The answer in your case would be yes along with the explanation. Lying is not recommended as they can deny you for lack of good moral character. If you think the case may be challenging, consult an attorney who can help

If I recall correctly there are 2 parts to the question - have you ever registered to vote or voted? The answer in your case would be yes along with the explanation. Lying is not recommended as they can deny you for lack of good moral character. If you think the case may be challenging, consult an attorney who can help
Thanks for answering. I have since gotten more information from the registration office. They did not consider it registering since I answered no on the citizen question and the application was never processed.

It will be several years until I can file for citizenship and I will probably consult with a lawyer before.