Refused to enter US. What can i do?

Freak11

Hello,

I am an Indian citizen accepted into US hospital for a clinical clerkship (medical rotation). I came to Canada a couple of weeks back on tourist visa to meet my brother, and from here i plan to go to US in december for my clinical clerkship for 2 months.

Last week I attempted to enter US, with my brother and sister in law. We had just planned to go to the mall for a few hours, so i didn’t carry my documentation for the clinical clerkship as i wasn’t intending to go to US for the 2 month period.
The border officer asked me questions which led to me saying that i will be coming back to Canada tonight and leaving for my clinical clerkship next week. Since i didn’t have documentation it was hard to prove my point and he “refused me to enter”, so i had to go back to Canada.
My question is, Can i attempt to re-enter US again, as now i will carry all the documentation with me? I also have a letter from the New York State Department stating that i am allowed to visit US for my clinical clerkship.
please help. Thank you all in advance.

Did they give you any paperwork? Explaining your "refused entry" and any requirements for the next time you try to enter?
They likely just asked you to withdraw you application to enter the US on that specific day. So there is no "refused entry".
They should have explained to you verbally.
If you bring your proper paperwork next time you should be fine. No one knows for sure.

Thank you for your reply. They just gave me a letter which said "refusal of admission" which I had to present at the Canadian border to enter Canada. The officer did not tell me anything about re-entering nor did he stamp my passport for anything.

The fact that they did not give you any detailed paperwork explaining how you can enter next time, is a good sign.
For people with criminal records, admitting to drug use, people suspected of being on a know terrorist watch list, etc they will give you detailed paperwork that you have been refused entry and that you must get prior permission before trying to enter US next time. It appears that did not happen in your situation.
I think they just asked you withdraw you application to enter the US on that specific day, since you did not have your clinical clerkship paperwork. (relatively minor situation)
I am sure they did record date/time, location and your passport number in their system for your attempted entry. So certainly disclose this information in the future if asked.
I think you should be fine once you have your proper paperwork. Maybe others can comment.

If still nervous, call an immigration attorney.
I assume your brother and sister in law are Canadian citizens (born in India?).
Canadian citizens can enter US very easily, no ETSA required. As an Indian citizen I am surprised you tried to enter without a visitor visa (B2) or your clinical clerkship paperwork. (what visa type is that?)

Let us know how it goes. Post an update after you enter the US.

The clinical clerkship requires a B1/B2 visa which i have. I didn’t carry any documents last week because I wasn’t going with an intention of going for clinical clerkship. I was just going to the mall for a few hours and returning back.

Okay,
You successfully obtained a B1/B2 visa for your Clinical Clerkship, but your intended visit that day was to do shopping in the mall on US side of border. Sounds like he refused you since your intended visit at that time did not match your visa approval.

I would have thought having a B2 visa would have allowed you entry to spend a few hours shopping, but I guess not. You can get some picky CBP officers some time.

I think you should be fine on your entry for Clinical Clerkship, let us know how it goes.

I would have thought having a B2 visa would have allowed you entry to spend a few hours shopping, but I guess not. You can get some picky CBP officers some time.

Assuming the b2 is not annotated I’d generally agree with you, but it may also have looked suspicious to the officer to claim to be visiting for a few hours (even if genuine).

Guys, do you think I should get a letter from an attorney to go there? Since it is thanksgiving week, it has been very hard to get a hold of anyone.

Guys, do you think I should get a letter from an attorney to go there? Since it is thanksgiving week, it has been very hard to get a hold of anyone.

Letter from an attorney cannot sway the decision of CBP to admit or deny admission to the US.

I have got B2 visa to enter the US. However I was not allowed to enter and CBP inspector made a decision on 212 (A) (7) (a) (I) (i) and also request to apply new visa at my home country.
My question is: May I apply same B2 visa and re- entry the US next time.

Please reple me.
Thank you

I have got B2 visa to enter the US. However I was not allowed to enter and CBP inspector made a decision on 212 (A) (7) (a) (I) (i) and also request to apply new visa at my home country.

Please reple me.
Thank you
Were you allowed to withdraw your application for admission and allowed to voluntarily depart? Or were you "removed" through expedited removal?

Did they write "cancelled" or something else on your visa?

Please reple me.
Thank you
This (to me) means the CBP did not believe you were a genuine visitor, they suspect your plan was to enter and remain permanently in the US, which is not what a B2 visa is intended for. You can apply for a new one if you like, possibility of it being approved is pretty low, if not non-existing, IMO.

I got B2 visa to transit in San Frncisco before departing to Vancouver. However they revoked my visa for section 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) and rquest to come back my home country and apply new visa. How should I do for next procedure?
Chris

Were you allowed to withdraw your application for admission and allowed to voluntarily depart? Or were you "removed" through expedited removal?

Did they write "cancelled" or something else on your visa?
Yes, allowed to withdraw my application for admission and allowed to voluntarily depart. They wrote "Revoked" on my visa.
How should I do for next?

You were denied entry for immigrant intent (which is the generic reason of denial for nonimmigrants). Your visa was revoked, so you need to apply for a new visa if you wish to enter the US again. You were not removed so you have no ban.

You could apply for a new visa, but there is a good chance it will be denied for immigrant intent.

They revoked my visa for Section 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) . And for non-immigrants, I can apply new one but I will be denied to apply immigrant. Is that correct?