Refused sponsorship for my wife

Discussion in 'Family Sponsorship' started by Geotoms, Jun 14, 2016.

  1. Geotoms

    Geotoms New Member

    I'm finding trouble sponsoring my wife. I have got Permanent residence. I married her in my homeland after getting my PR Card. We had our traditional marriage registered in the temple. We were childhood friends. We didn't have family's approval. My wife's sponsorship is refused since our marriage is not recognized. It's not possible for me to go back at this time. What should I do now? Need advice.
  2. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    Are you two legally married in the eyes of the law? Is the "temple" wedding considered a legal marriage where it took place?

  3. Geotoms

    Geotoms New Member

    We have a certificate from the temple. It is legal in the native place, but it isn't a government certificate.
  4. 1AurCitizen

    1AurCitizen Registered Users (C)

    Oftentimes a marriage certificate from a religious venue isn't enough. The marriage must be registered with the local municipality for it to be officially recognized. .
    Nicolas Rhiley likes this.
  5. Geotoms

    Geotoms New Member

    My employment will be jeopardized if I go back to get it registered in municipal office now. My colleagues are telling me to consult a ***lawyer*** to appeal for her sponsorship. I'm thinking if I submit the testaments of the witnesses, she may be granted sponsorship on humanitarian grounds?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  6. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    You have a problem then. It needs to be a marriage recognised by the law of the land.

  7. Nicolas Rhiley

    Nicolas Rhiley New Member

    Unfortunately, PR status is not automatically received after marriage even when it is recognized by the law. And even the case when a spouse has the Canadian passport will not help here either.

    Any foreigner must meet the selection criteria for obtaining the PR status. In the case of spousal sponsorship, both spouses (both Canadian and foreign) must undergo such selection.

Share This Page