Refugee Travel document

No Title

What is your current status? Asylee (asylum already granted)? Adjustment applicant (Asylee with I-485 pending)? If so, when did you apply? Country of origin? Need to know this info to answer your request

No Title

Alanpero, my status is asylee with I-485 pending( receipt date December 11, 1998). Still waiting for approval. Ivory Coast is my country of origin(West Africa).
I have applied for a refugee travel document to visit family members in France. NSC said 120-150 days But I found out on the net that it takes 30-60days and 120-150 for re-enter permit. A little bit confusing. Try to call Nebraska unsuccessfully.
I really need to leave in June. What can I do.

No Title

If you leave the US without RTD or Advance Parole you\'ll application will be considered abandoned. This is clearly stated in INS web site http://www.ins.usdoj.gov. Don\'t do that, unless of course, you want to decline your I-485 application. You have two options: send a letter to INS NSC asking for expediting the process explaining why you are you are urged to travel (not to your home country, of course). Learn from other\'s experiences and use the search tab in this page, under Bruce Hirst and/or Vlad Miller. I remember one of them has previously posted that he sent a letter and worked for him.
The other option you have is to file an application for Advance parole at your local INS office, this works faster. Again, go to the INS web site, check instructions for I-131 and follow procedure.
INS clearly explains in the web site, consequences of traveling without previously getting these documents. Just check it out and follow procedure.
Good luck.

No Title

Good News!
INS has started expiditing the process as indicated in th recent processing timis. Can anyone tell if s/he have received GC or any communication in this regard who has has applied I-485 as a political asylee? I think INS is processing case applied in June 1999. I did in September 1999 and God knows when will my number come.

Alanpero, can you please tell whats going on? You also applied I-485 as asylee. Did you get any progess yet?

No Title

Yes, I have seen that in the NSC report; however, there is not actual progress reported so far. I am tracking cases filed in August 98 and nothing yet. Since the fiscal year 2001 ends next September, the question is: has the INS NSC already approved the 10000 visas for this fiscal year? If so, we shouldn\'t expect any progress until next October. If the answer is no, there should be some progress before next October.
Meanwhile, there is nothing else to do other than wait and cross fingers.

No Title

I have received a note from Nebraska asking for proof of ID and proof that I am still in the US and also that I have been here since 1994.
I did a new Photo ID yesterday, But I don\'t know what they meant by since1994. I send them my I-94 . So what else can I send ?
Please help

No Title

Please let me know if the note you have received is regarding your I-485 or your I-131 for RTD. Did you alraedy get your Refugee Travel document? Need to know this to answer your question. Let me know, thanks

No Title

The note I have received is for my travel doc.
I guess they were processing it and found out that something is missing. So I have to send them the required doc.

No Title

Don\'t think is nothing to worry about. My guess is that this is the first time you are asking for RTD, then they ask for the ID because they need to verify the photos you send are legitimate. As for the request of evidence of being here since 94, the I-94 is not enough evidence, it only shows to them when was the last time you arrived to the US. They need to know if in the mean time you left the country and come back, and make sure that you have been continuosly staying here. It also happened to me the first time I asked for RTD, but they only asked for ID at that time. For the following years there was not further request because I attached the expired original document with my new application. These requirements are not indicated in the instructions to file I-131. What I would do if I were in the situation you are is to mail them in addition to copy of the ID any document to proof that you have been staying in the US; like, W2 forms from employer (the ones you use to file Income tax), your income tax, employer letter, or if you are studying records from university, phone bills, housing bills, bank account statements, also if you have filed I-765 with them a copy of the notice or EAD would work, etc. I also suggest to include in your letter a request for expediting the process, explaining reasons why you are urged to travel, and I believe you will get the document on time to travel. And don\'t forget to include a copy of the note you received.
I was wishing the note you got was regarding your I-485, because that would have mean good news for everybody. That would have mean that INS NSC was moving I-485 for asylees. Good luck

No Title

I would like to know how foreign (Non-U.S) Immigration officials treat asylees from the U.S carrying RTD when they go to overseas.
Is it difficult to obtain foreign Visas (especially to Europe, Canada etc.)with the RTD? Where do they stamp the Visas (in the RTD or in your old passport)?
  Please share your experiences here.

Thank you

Jack

No Title

Technically the RTD is a document issued to provide the bearer with a travel document which can serve in lieu of a national passport. The document is issued pursuant to Article 28, UN Convention of 1951 and others. However, it seems that not all the Immigration officials in foreign countries are aware of this. I traveled to Mexico, and the official there, didn\'t know about the document, started asking about my status in the US and finally he stamped the admission in my national passport. Also, before traveling to Canada, I went to the Canadian Consulate to get a visa, and they stamped the visa and admission in the RTD.
Canadians are pretty strict about issuing visas. Have no experience about taveling to Europe with RTD. Impression I got is that the document is more important to identify you and show eligibility to be re-admitted when you come back to the US.

No Title

There is nothing to worry about asking ID. Its routine work that they ask. It was in my case. I have sent them my Photo-ID (drivers\' pic) and now waiting for the documents. So don\'t worry about it.

No Title

I applied in end of February but still waiting for approval. Also I checked on automatic answering system that doen\'t say that they have received my IDs but I am having my fingers crossed. Lets see whtat happends. When did you apply I-485?

No Title

Hi Rajrani I appiled for RTD on First-week of February 2001 and I recived my Travel-Document on March 16th.
And they didn\'t ask me any document for RTD. I just send 131 form and $95.00 and I got the RTD.
I hope you will get your RTD very soon.
Good-Luck

No Title

Alanpero,

What happens if the asylee\'s passport is no longer valid because the authorities in the homecountry refused to renew it? When you mention you\'re an asylee in the U.S to foriegn consulate in visa application etc. do they still ask for your old passport? I know I really should be asking this question to foriegn consulates etc., but I would like to hear experiences from people in this board.

My belief is that if you really want to play safe avoid travelling outside of the U.S while your I-485 is pending because alot of unexpected things can happen.

No Title

That is precisely the purpose of the RTD: to serve as a document in lieu of the national passport. If for any reason you cannot get your passsport, you should be able to travel with the RTD; however, it seems that not all Immigration officers in foreign countries are aware of this.
When I went to the Canadian consulate in US, I gave to them both and they stamped only in the RTD. Yes, I also believe that you should avoid travelling abroad while I-485 is pending. And, it is true a lot of unexpected things are happening. For instance, in the INS website there is a recent advisory notice for I-485 applicants travelling abroad and now, as I understand, they are also requiring Advance Parole in addition to the RTD.