Refugee Travel Document Utiliy

zman44

I can't find another thread where to post this so I'm starting a new one. So I recently moved homes. While trying to renew my license, the DMV kept asking me for an I-94 + visa + passport. When I tried to use my I-94+RTD they told me they couldn't accept that as proof of legal status in the US. When I went to their website, it doesn't seem like the RTD figures anywhere as a valid document.

I just lost my job due to COVID. Since my EAD was denied due to a wrong category, I can't get an unrestricted SS card bc all offices are closed, and since the GC is nowhere to be seen, I was looking at what other documents I could present since I am licenseless. Lo and behold, the RTD doesn't appear to be an acceptable I-9 document. They'll take your passport+I-94, but not the RTD. So it's not acceptable as proof of work authorization.

I then wondered about domestic travel. Not surprisingly, the RTD doesn't appear on the TSA's website of acceptable IDs to board a domestic flight. They specifically mention EADs and foreign-issued passports, but not RTDs.

So, my question, what exactly IS the RTD good for, lol. Is it really such a useless document you can't even use it for anything else other than international travel? Has anyone had any luck using the RTD to renew a license, or fly domestically, or as an ID for anything else?

I think this depends on your state. Here in Massachusetts, the Re-entry Permit / RTD is specifically called out as a form of evidence you can present to obtain your ID/DL. But not all states are as progressives as MA. So, depending on the state, the RTD can be used for more than just international travel.

Surprised by TSA. I thought when passing through security, TSA specifically scans the RTD as part of security clearance? I think for domestic travel, the RTD is sufficient as an ID, even though it is not called out on their website. In the past, I have used my RTD to clear security when traveling abroad. I have not used it for domestic travel - I always felt weird trying to use it: it made me feel different.

I can't find another thread where to post this so I'm starting a new one. So I recently moved homes. While trying to renew my license, the DMV kept asking me for an I-94 + visa + passport. When I tried to use my I-94+RTD they told me they couldn't accept that as proof of legal status in the US. When I went to their website, it doesn't seem like the RTD figures anywhere as a valid document.

I just lost my job due to COVID. Since my EAD was denied due to a wrong category, I can't get an unrestricted SS card bc all offices are closed, and since the GC is nowhere to be seen, I was looking at what other documents I could present since I am licenseless. Lo and behold, the RTD doesn't appear to be an acceptable I-9 document. They'll take your passport+I-94, but not the RTD. So it's not acceptable as proof of work authorization.

I then wondered about domestic travel. Not surprisingly, the RTD doesn't appear on the TSA's website of acceptable IDs to board a domestic flight. They specifically mention EADs and foreign-issued passports, but not RTDs.

So, my question, what exactly IS the RTD good for, lol. Is it really such a useless document you can't even use it for anything else other than international travel? Has anyone had any luck using the RTD to renew a license, or fly domestically, or as an ID for anything else?
if your asylum is approved, only I-94 (proof of approval) is sufficient for work.

Lo and behold, the RTD doesn't appear to be an acceptable I-9 document.
RTC is a List C document for the I-9 (but then so is your asylee I-94). See this page, under List C Documents -> Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS):

Some employment authorization documents issued by DHS include but are not limited to Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record issued to asylees or work-authorized nonimmigrants (for example, H-1B nonimmigrants) because of their immigration status, Form I-571, Refugee Travel Document, an unexpired Form I-327, Reentry Permit , Form N-560, Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Form N-561, Replacement Certificate of Citizenship, or Form N-550, Certificate of Naturalization or Form N-570, Replacement Certificate of Naturalization.

But it needs to be used with a List B document and you seem to be having trouble getting a driver's license. What state are you in?

RTC is a List C document for the I-9 (but then so is your asylee I-94). See this page, under List C Documents -> Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS):

But it needs to be used with a List B document and you seem to be having trouble getting a driver's license. What state are you in?
Exactly, I'm not sure why the RTD would be a list C document, but not A, when it obviously establishes identity as well as work authorization. I am in Minnesota.

I think this depends on your state. Here in Massachusetts, the Re-entry Permit / RTD is specifically called out as a form of evidence you can present to obtain your ID/DL. But not all states are as progressives as MA. So, depending on the state, the RTD can be used for more than just international travel.

Surprised by TSA. I thought when passing through security, TSA specifically scans the RTD as part of security clearance? I think for domestic travel, the RTD is sufficient as an ID, even though it is not called out on their website. In the past, I have used my RTD to clear security when traveling abroad. I have not used it for domestic travel - I always felt weird trying to use it: it made me feel different.
That last part! It does make you feel different. The couple times I've traveled abroad with the RTD I found myself ashamed of having it. Even after gaining asylum, you still feel like less-than regular citizens/green card holders and life is difficult with all the extra rules you have to follow.

That last part! It does make you feel different. The couple times I've traveled abroad with the RTD I found myself ashamed of having it. Even after gaining asylum, you still feel like less-than regular citizens/green card holders and life is difficult with all the extra rules you have to follow.
Correct. My four years with the RTD, tough. Across all the regions, from China to NZ, the airlines always made me wait, always had to be examined further. +CBP would always send me to secondary when I return to the US - they would send me there for no reason. This was when I was traveling with RTD+GC. Like everything else with the asylum process, what kept me going was the full knowledge that those difficult days would come to pass. A new day would come when I would have a real passport.

Correct. My four years with the RTD, tough. Across all the regions, from China to NZ, the airlines always made me wait, always had to be examined further. +CBP would always send me to secondary when I return to the US - they would send me there for no reason. This was when I was traveling with RTD+GC. Like everything else with the asylum process, what kept me going was the full knowledge that those difficult days would come to pass. A new day would come when I would have a real passport.

This was my experience can't wait to get my last RTD.

Hello, I have posted the documents required for RTD. It seems it was delivered on December 20. However, I have not received any information that it has still been received or processed. It has been 1 month, now I am tired of waiting for more. Is this normal?

I just read from USCIS that It takes about 8-10 Months to process RTD. That is a long time to process a document just valid for 11 months. I applied for mine back in August 2020. I was not expecting to have it maybe in 2021

I applied on Feb 14th 2021 .. still waiting, now it says 10-13 months... I seriously wish I was an attorney.. I would do a class action.. these documents should be delivered to us in no more than a month or two.. they signed the refugee convention and they just violating all its terms... at leat make the document valid for 5 years...

I applied on Feb 14th 2021 .. still waiting, now it says 10-13 months... I seriously wish I was an attorney.. I would do a class action.. these documents should be delivered to us in no more than a month or two.. they signed the refugee convention and they just violating all its terms... at leat make the document valid for 5 years...
Which service center did you send?

I have applied for mine in March 7th, and received it around 25 September. Nebraska LIN

sign me up ,, the refugee travel document satiation is ridiculous . they don't even need congress or extrusive order to extend the validity of the document .

Which service center did you send?

I have applied for mine in March 7th, and received it around 25 September. Nebraska LIN
Did you expedite it? Was it your first RTD? Looks like renewing it takes longer than getting it at the first time! I applied in August 2021 and still waiting hopefully i get it by MAY 2022 cause i really meed to travel urgently by mid of May 2022

Did you expedite it? Was it your first RTD? Looks like renewing it takes longer than getting it at the first time! I applied in August 2021 and still waiting hopefully i get it by MAY 2022 cause i really meed to travel urgently by mid of May 2022
I made an expedite request but they didn’t expedite.

hey guys! Does anyone have any experience with renewal (obtaining a new one) RTD? I am wondering, since validity of RTD is just one year and processing time to get new one takes 8-9 months, does it make sense to summit i-131 6 months before my current RTD expires? What do you think? I just got my first one and already thinking how to renew it since it's only 1 year :( can you share your experience please?

hey guys! Does anyone have any experience with renewal (obtaining a new one) RTD? I am wondering, since validity of RTD is just one year and processing time to get new one takes 8-9 months, does it make sense to summit i-131 6 months before my current RTD expires? What do you think? I just got my first one and already thinking how to renew it since it's only 1 year :( can you share your experience please?
I don't have a personally experience applying for a RTD . but generally with applications, most of the wait time is just waiting for your application to get to a USCIS employee . basically just waiting for a long line ahead of millions of other applicants. which is ridicules in case of an RTD