Reentry permit long processing times

OldGlory

Hi,

I have applied for a reentry permit in September and got fairly quickly a notification that biometrics were not necessary. I indicated the foreign embassy address for delivery of the document and got back to Europe.

I did an inquiry online a few weeks ago that appears in the USCIS case status, but as “not processed” yet.

What happens if the permit issuance takes more than one year and I am abroad? Should I get worried?

Many thanks!
Fra

Hi,

I have applied for a reentry permit in September and got fairly quickly a notification that biometrics were not necessary. I indicated the foreign embassy address for delivery of the document and got back to Europe.

I did an inquiry online a few weeks ago that appears in the USCIS case status, but as “not processed” yet.

What happens if the permit issuance takes more than one year and I am abroad? Should I get worried?

Many thanks!
Fra
Why you even traveled before you hold the AP on your hand!!!! What you did is real madness and very risky

Why you even traveled before you hold the AP on your hand!!!! What you did is real madness and very risky
OP did not apply for the AP card, as they do not need it. OP applied for a Re-Entry Permit, which is different from an AP. There is no risk or madness to what the OP did, they did not need to wait for the REP to be issued before departing from the US as the REP, upon approval can be sent to an applicable embassy/consulate if requested when the application was made.

Hi,

Many thanks!
Fra
What you're experiencing in terms of the delay is normal. Here's a link to a post from someone who applied for the REP on (or before May) 2021, got the approved REP in Apr. 2022 with the expiration date of the REP listed as Apr. 2024.

Thank you!

I was considering to travel to the US before the 12 months expire from the last entry just to keep the green card ‘active’, but that would not make any sense, correct?

Thank you!

I was considering to travel to the US before the 12 months expire from the last entry just to keep the green card ‘active’, but that would not make any sense, correct?
if this was me personally and my REP had not arrived by just before a year after leaving, I would certainly do that. I’d hate to have to lose my green card on what might be a technicality (of having been outside the US for 12+ months without an approved REP), or spend lawyer fees and court time fighting it, or even just worry about all of that. Easier just to pop over to the US for a few days imo. Others may have the opinion that as long as the REP arrives eventually, it’s ok.

But anyway you still have 2-3 months to see if it arrives. The official USCIS processing times page says 80% of I131 applications for REP/RTD (tgey do not break down further between these two) are processed within 12 months.

Thank you Susie! Indeed I’ll wait till the end of Aug and -fingers crossed- will receive it by then. Otherwise I will spend my savings $$$ for a short trip in the US . I miss it so much!