Received GC, long name issue

forumuser1

Registered Users (C)
Missing last letter in long "Given Name".

My question,

I have received my Green Card and observed that last letter in my long First name is missing even though I mentioned it correctly on I-485 application form.

My First name contains 3 words comprising 19 characters (including 2 empty spaces) and
my Last name contains 2 words comprising 17 characters (including 1 empty space)

Total characters including spaces = 36

And my "Last Name" is printed correctly but my "First Name" got truncated (last one letter is missing).

Example:
Correct First Name - ABCD ABCDEFGHI ABCD
First Name on Card - ABCD ABCDEFGHI ABC (missing letter 'D')

Is there any limitation on number of characters to display on card? Will there be any issue while crossing the border?

Or should I get it fixed by filing I-90? Please advise.

Thanks for your time.

The card probably can't hold any more.

It won't cause a problem at the border. They'll probably just look at your first name as ABCD, and the ABCDEFGHI ABC viewed as middle names, which carry less importance. To make life simpler for yourself when living in the US, I would suggest you also treat your name the same way when filling out documents ... first name =ABCD, middle initial= A, if the ABCD sounds like it can stand on its own as a first name.

Thanks Jackolantern.

Actually my middle name is highlighted in bold in my first name, "ABCD ABCDEFGHI ABCD"

but when I applied my passport in India, the agent put it in front of my first name (2nd set of ABCD (in italic) in the above name is my real life first name) so since then that has become standard but my last name is good.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Let me try to paraphrase your story using example multi-part names instead of ABCD etc. Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Your full legal first name is James Jonathan John
Last name is Von Petersdorff

In regular life you use John as your first name
On the green card, they showed your first name as James Jonathan Joh (cutting off the 'n')

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Your full legal first name is James Jonathan John
Last name is Von Petersdorff

In regular life you use John as your first name
On the green card, they showed your first name as James Jonathan Joh (cutting off the 'n')

You got me correct. Thanks for woking on my name.

Except to match my last name of 17 characters, please correct the last name to
Last name is Vonde Petersdorff (17 characters).

Thanks.

I heard from my attorney that while filing I-485 form he didn't include last character ('n' - cut-off character in the above name) since I-485 form allows only 18 characters for "First (Given) Name".

So, I am not sure even if I apply for correction (I-90), will Green card hold morethan 18 characters to display?

Thanks.

I heard from my attorney that while filing I-485 form he didn't include last character ('n' - cut-off character in the above name) since I-485 form allows only 18 characters for "First (Given) Name".
That is false!

Maybe the immigration software he was using when preparing the I-485 didn't allow for more than 18 characters, but the I-485 PDF allows more than 20 to be typed in. And there is the option to write in longer names by hand; the fields for the names are open spaces and you can squeeze in more by writing small. It isn't 18 individual small boxes to fill in a max of 18 characters.

So your lawyer messed up, and you let him! Apparently you didn't review the I-485 before it was submitted. Because this is not a USCIS mistake, you would have to pay the fee to get a corrected card.

But if you don't change the card, you won't have a problem using it to travel; that third word of your name would be seen by the officer as being a middle name, and middle names are often truncated partially or cut down to a middle initial on the green card (mine only has a middle initial).

Maybe the immigration software he was using when preparing the I-485 didn't allow for more than 18 characters, but the I-485 PDF allows more than 20 to be typed in. And there is the option to write in longer names by hand;

Yes, he was using software but USCIS's I-485 form (PDF version - PDF) allows only 18 characters. Yes, we can still write it by hand on printed form as we are going to mail the printed form and no e-filing.

So your lawyer messed up, and you let him! Apparently you didn't review the I-485 before it was submitted.

I did review the forms online (Immigration software) and I remember seeing small '+' sign after my first name and if you expand you would see missing last letter 'n' so it might be possible that the printed I-485 may have truncated the '+' sign characters, maybe there is a bug in software.

But how to check if USCIS has my full name or not, can Infopass help in this regard?

But if you don't change the card, you won't have a problem using it to travel; that third word of your name would be seen by the officer as being a middle name, and middle names are often truncated partially or cut down to a middle initial on the green card (mine only has a middle initial).

Still little uncomfortable if officer at the border compares letter by letter against Passport then there may be an issue.

It may depends on officer at duty at POE?

Thanks.

A 1-letter truncation of a middle name most definitely will not be a problem. If it was a problem there would be numerous people here complaining about such incidents.

Look at your other GC documents, particularly the I-485 receipt and I-485 approval notice to see if they have your full name without truncation.

Look at your other GC documents, particularly the I-485 receipt and I-485 approval notice to see if they have your full name without truncation.

Yes, all of them (I-485 receipt + approval notice) do not have last letter in first name and it is consistent including I-140 and I-765 (EAD) but I-131 (AP) was good.

Thanks.