Reasons of asylum interview delays

Anthony2013

Registered Users (C)
Hi Dear Friends

I did some analysis recently on the issue, that the asylum cases are not scheduled for interviews in all over the country, and I think there are some other issues regarding this problem besides the one, that they don’t have enough officers to handle the interviews.
Even though the applicants of credible fear interviews at the southern border of the country has recently raised and the officers are travelling to the border to interview that people, because they have higher priority, I think that this is not the main reason, why the affirmative cases aren’t scheduled for interviews. Moreover I don’t think that the number of credible fear applicants has raised so much, that it can cause a delay of affirmative cases not for a few months, but even for years. Yes, it could be the reason for delays, but not so long. This kind of problem could arise if the number of credible fear interviews were raised with 500%, but not with 10-20% as it is now. I don’t think that during last few years credible applicants at the borders were for example 20.000 per year and now they are 1.000.000.000 per year. Also please pay attention to the fact, that these delays came up after the time, when the president spoke about the immigration reform and new immigration bill was put on the table. After that these catastrophic delays started. So I think, that there two main reasons for this delays:
1. The president don’t want to have any undocumented people in this country any more, and they intentionally delay the cases for more than 180 days, in order to give a chance to the applicant to get the work permit, social security card, driver license, credit history and health insurance and only after that to interview them. In these cases, even if the case is denied and referred to the immigration court, their asylum clocks won’t be stopped and they all will have all corresponding documents to live in this country legally and will not be in the shadows, but will be on their hands.
2. Giving the work permits to the asylum applicants, the government gives some probation period to the asylum applicants to demonstrate the government what they do here. Do they work or not? Do they do crimes or not? Do they pay taxes or not? Is their backgrounds clear or not? So upon making a decision on their cases the government already has some picture about the moral characters and natures of those asylum seekers and can put that information on the base of granting or denying the case depending that picture. It spreads some light on them about which kind of resident are they going to accept to the country.
And there is another option as well. Maybe they see, that there are a lot of people filing fake asylum applications, and they want to make this process so frustrating and complicated, in order to make people to forget about this way of obtaining a status in the USA and decrease the number of fake asylum applicants in this country. They want to clear out this process from fake applications which I think is a good idea.

So dear friends, I would like to hear from you any comments or minds on this analysis and to see what do you think about this???

About my case:
I-589 received by USCIS – 07/29/2013
Fingerprints done – 08/05/2013
Interview notice – waiting
EAD applied - 01/06/2014
EAD approved – waiting
Asylum office – Los Angeles (Anaheim)
Out of status till 12/15/2013 (B2)

You are right

when my lawyer inquired on behalf of me, office explanation was that because of increased number of detainees they were staff shorted

Actually the 500% increase in Credible Fear cases is about right, but the numbers are only about one fifth of what you posit. In 2009 there were 5523 credible fear interviews and in 2013, even before the years was complete there were 22,775 credible fear interviews according to Department of Homeland Security statistics. That was with a month left to go for 2013, with the number of credible fear interviews increasing on a month to month basis, so the final total for 2013 was probably close to 26,000.

You can read more about the increase in credible fear cases here:

http://www.asylumist.com/2013/08/16/the-end-of-asylum-as-we-know-it/

I don't think that the reasons you give have very much to do with the delays. The government doesn't want to grant employment authorization to asylum applicants who haven't had their cases heard yet because that will only be an incentive to have people with fraudulent stories to apply.