Really worried about my life.

xLili

Hi there.

Came on a K-1 Visa and married to my American bf. Received my 2 years Green Card, then applied for the 10 year one which is still pending. It was real love but after he left to study at this college, he all changed. Kept claiming that he loves me and once we gather enough money, we will get a house there. Of course not, he was dating girls at his new college and then he admitted it and said I am not rich like them or study like them. He kept verbally abusing me and I have screenshots where he was telling me I am better off dead or when he was aroused, he was bothering me to send him nudes.

So he went to study abroad in some other country and found a girl there. After returning to the US, he said he wants to marry her and how she owns houses and they have to be married so he can have them. He is threatening me with a divorce and he calls me retarded by saying I should have had my citizenship already and it is my fault if I do not. This is my 4th year here and still waiting on the removal of residency conditions.

So he says either I sign the divorce in a peaceful manner or he will do it himself and that will make me seem as a fraud and get me deported. I am sick of threats, he always threatens me if I do not send him money and now with this. I am so worried and I do not have that much of money, I am by myself. Some advice would help, thank you.

First of all, he doesn't need you to sign a divorce; either party can divorce unilaterally, so I am not sure why he is threatening you. Maybe he wants you to not contest the divorce so it will go faster.

A divorce (doesn't matter if you file it or he files it) does not prevent you from removing conditions and staying here -- you can do Removal of Conditions by yourself on the basis of divorce, though a divorce at this point while your Removal of Conditions is already pending might drag out the process and make it more complicated. But as long as you can show that your marriage was genuine and not for the purpose of evading immigration laws, you will ultimately get your conditions removed and you will be able to continue to stay as a permanent resident.

Thank you for your reply. I scheduled an appointment with an immigration lawyer to check the case.

My husband still threatens me, now he is asking me to send him a picture of my social security card saying that he applies for divorce and they need it to prove that I am legal. I feel he wants to trick me into something and I am not gonna send anything. He also said he will lie and say he broke up with me when we got married and so on.

Thank you for your reply. I scheduled an appointment with an immigration lawyer to check the case.

My husband still threatens me, now he is asking me to send him a picture of my social security card saying that he applies for divorce and they need it to prove that I am legal. I feel he wants to trick me into something and I am not gonna send anything. He also said he will lie and say he broke up with me when we got married and so on.
You have no obligation to send him anything. He can get your Social Security Number from the tax returns he filed anyway. It doesn't make sense why he would need your Social Security card to apply for divorce. 1. A Social Security card does not prove you are legal. 2. Whether you are legal and whether you have a Social Security card are not relevant in divorce.

You have no obligation to send him anything. He can get your Social Security Number from the tax returns he filed anyway. It doesn't make sense why he would need your Social Security card to apply for divorce. 1. A Social Security card does not prove you are legal. 2. Whether you are legal and whether you have a Social Security card are not relevant in divorce.

He does not file any taxes, he has been only a college student. So I filed separately. He makes it sound that if I do not give it to him, the government will assume that I am illegal. And he needs pictures of it to show them that I 'have citizenship'. Which yeah, it is very irrelevant when it comes to file a divorce. On top of that he thinks that removal of conditions=citizenship, so he acts that I should have had it by now.

Last edited:
Just make sure your lawyer is on top of everything and keep records of all threats he makes against you.
This kind of stuff is well above the pay grade of anonymous forum members focusing on immigration.