Re: N400 - which category do I fit in?

piyalove

Registered Users (C)
I have a question on N400 elibility:

I fit in the following category:

I have been a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States for at least three years, This will happen on August 8, 2009.

I have been married to and living with the same U.S. citizen for the last three years, Yes, since April 13, 2005.

My spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years. Yes, she's a US Citizen for more than that!

My question:

Can I apply for Naturalization or N400 now or apply after August 8, 2009?

You can apply on or after May 8, 2009 (three months before completing 3 years of residence), but you can only get approved on or after August 8, 2009 (the entire 3 years must be completed for approval). Note that the "three months before" condition does not apply to the 3 years of marriage, although in your specific case that doesn't matter because you were married in 2005.

However, note that some of the immigration clerks who initially process the application may be counting 90 days instead of three months, and some of them don't count correctly, so to avoid having your application rejected before the interview as a result of their mistake, wait at least 2-3 days after the earliest eligibility date before sending the N-400.

I have a question on N400 elibility:

I fit in the following category:

I have been a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States for at least three years, This will happen on August 8, 2009.

I have been married to and living with the same U.S. citizen for the last three years, Yes, since April 13, 2005.

My spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years. Yes, she's a US Citizen for more than that!

My question:

Can I apply for Naturalization or N400 now or apply after August 8, 2009?

You have to be PR for 5 years to apply for citizenship. 3 years only if
you get your PR as yoiur citizen wife sponsored your GC. If you get your
GC by other means, Having been married to a US citizen for however longtime
is irrelevant.

You have to be PR for 5 years to apply for citizenship. 3 years only if
you get your PR as your citizen wife sponsored your GC. If you get your
GC by other means, Having been married to a US citizen for however longtime
is irrelevant.

Some incorrect information here; you don't have to get the green card thru marriage in order to file for citizenship under 3 year rule. You only have to be married to a US citizen and be LPR for 3 years.

You can apply up to 90 days (USCIS implies 3 months to means 90 days) before you have reached your 3rd year as an LPR married to a US citizen for 3 years.