• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Re-entry

fatsailor

My wife and I have just had my case number (OC) go current and should hopefully be having our interviews in August (DV18). Due to some changes in personal circumstances since we entered, we'd like to delay our entry for as long as possible, and are planning on waiting until late 2018 or very early 2019 to activate our green card and then return to our home country for about 12 months.

I was considering applying for re-entry permits so we could extend that 12 months to almost 2 years, but I'm worried we'll be stuck in the US doing the application process for too long (we're not planning on quitting our jobs just yet, so taking a couple of months leave might be difficult). I've got a few questions that I'm hoping some people might be able to help with:

1. When is the earliest we can start the application process for a re-entry permit? Can we do it the day after we arrive on our activation trip or do we have to wait until we physically receive our green cards?
2. How long does it take to get a biometeric appointment and how long does the application process take (ie. how long until we can leave the US)?
3. Bit of a long-shot, but does anyone have any tips on how to get an earlier appointment (ie. can you make an appointment before you arrive in the country, can you just show up without an appointment and hope someone doesn't show up, etc).

Obviously if it's not possible to do this within about a month then we'll probably just have to move earlier than we were hoping, which is still an amazing opportunity (even if it's not ideal). If anyone has had any experiences applying for re-entry permits and would be able to share how it went, I'd be really interested.

Thanks.

Interesting question. I was going to ask the same since I have the same dilemma as you, would like to spend a couple of years more in my current job and try if possible, to get a transfer to their American branch before quitting everything, but since I haven't even got an appointment yet let alone the visa, I didn't want to skip steps.

but since you asked it,....waiting for answers.

Last edited:
My wife and I have just had my case number (OC) go current and should hopefully be having our interviews in August (DV18). Due to some changes in personal circumstances since we entered, we'd like to delay our entry for as long as possible, and are planning on waiting until late 2018 or very early 2019 to activate our green card and then return to our home country for about 12 months.

I was considering applying for re-entry permits so we could extend that 12 months to almost 2 years, but I'm worried we'll be stuck in the US doing the application process for too long (we're not planning on quitting our jobs just yet, so taking a couple of months leave might be difficult). I've got a few questions that I'm hoping some people might be able to help with:

1. When is the earliest we can start the application process for a re-entry permit? Can we do it the day after we arrive on our activation trip or do we have to wait until we physically receive our green cards?
2. How long does it take to get a biometeric appointment and how long does the application process take (ie. how long until we can leave the US)?
3. Bit of a long-shot, but does anyone have any tips on how to get an earlier appointment (ie. can you make an appointment before you arrive in the country, can you just show up without an appointment and hope someone doesn't show up, etc).

Obviously if it's not possible to do this within about a month then we'll probably just have to move earlier than we were hoping, which is still an amazing opportunity (even if it's not ideal). If anyone has had any experiences applying for re-entry permits and would be able to share how it went, I'd be really interested.

Thanks.
First question have you done your medical yet?

Thanks.

1. You can apply as soon as you enter the US. You don’t have to wait until you have the physical GC on hand.

2. Takes a couple of weeks to receive the Bio appointment. Takes several months to receive the re-entry permit. However you don’t have to remain in the US to receive the permit. You can list the address of the US embassy applicable to your country as the pick up address. So you can depart right after the bio appointment.

3. No you can’t make an appointment before you enter the US, nor can you show up for the bio without the appointment notice. However you can attempt a walk in after receiving the bio - that is you visit the ASC to try and get the bio done before the actual appointment day/time.

Bear in mind though you’re expected to file annual taxes in the US once you become a LPR regardless of where you’re physically living and working.

Thanks.

Also, I hope you have a good plan in place for getting the plastic GC if you’re planning on being away for about 2 years. Your endorsed visa will be valid as a temporary GC for one year only.

1. You can apply as soon as you enter the US. You don’t have to wait until you have the physical GC on hand.

2. Takes a couple of weeks to receive the Bio appointment. Takes several months to receive the re-entry permit. However you don’t have to remain in the US to receive the permit. You can list the address of the US embassy applicable to your country as the pick up address. So you can depart right after the bio appointment.

3. No you can’t make an appointment before you enter the US, nor can you show up for the bio without the appointment notice. However you can attempt a walk in after receiving the bio - that is you visit the ASC to try and get the bio done before the actual appointment day/time.

Bear in mind though you’re expected to file annual taxes in the US once you become a LPR regardless of where you’re physically living and working.

Also, I hope you have a good plan in place for getting the plastic GC if you’re planning on being away for about 2 years. Your endorsed visa will be valid as a temporary GC for one year only.

Thanks so much for the answers! If it only takes a couple of weeks then that shouldn't be a problem.

Also good to know that the endorsed visa is only valid for a year - I wasn't aware of that. Thanks again.

Speaking of taxes, I have a social security number from years back (2003?) and I need to check with the IRS what (if anything) needs to be cleared up.

I have two questions in relation to re-entry:

1. The 1 year period after your activation - Presumably the grace period of being outside of the USA for up to a one year period without additional questioning runs based on the visa in the passport right? So, if you activate on 10 December and then leave again on the 15 December but re-enter again in say, March for a short period, you could enter again on 1 December the following year without issues? My question is essentially - It's not just a one-departure from the USA grace that is 'used up' if you returned for a short period during that year?

2. The 6 months in the country rule to build towards the 5 year requirement for citizenship, does that get calculated on the anniversary of your activation, financial year or calendar year? Seems pedantic but could make a difference depending on where in the year the six month is (if it's a block).

Thanks.

I have two questions in relation to re-entry:

1. The 1 year period after your activation - Presumably the grace period of being outside of the USA for up to a one year period without additional questioning runs based on the visa in the passport right? So, if you activate on 10 December and then leave again on the 15 December but re-enter again in say, March for a short period, you could enter again on 1 December the following year without issues? My question is essentially - It's not just a one-departure from the USA grace that is 'used up' if you returned for a short period during that year?
First of all, the immigrant visa is void the moment you enter the US -- immigrant visas are single-use. Rather, the immigrant visa automatically turns into an I-551 (proof of permanent residency) valid for one year from the day you entered. A green card is an I-551, and your immigrant visa, stamped upon entry, is also an I-551, so it is equivalent in every way to a green card for one year from the date of entry. So your question is basically about leaving as a permanent resident with a green card.

There is no such thing as a "grace period". No length of absence, no matter how short, will guarantee that there will be no "additional questioning". And absences of more than 6 months often will lead to additional questioning, especially if it's close to one year. Now, if it's the first time you've been away that long, they might be a little more lenient on you. But as a US permanent resident (you become a US permanent resident the moment you enter the US with your immigrant visa; this is what you refer to as "activating"), you are required to maintain residence in the US, and all your trips, even one right after you enter, must not show that you abandoned residence.

2. The 6 months in the country rule to build towards the 5 year requirement for citizenship, does that get calculated on the anniversary of your activation, financial year or calendar year? Seems pedantic but could make a difference depending on where in the year the six month is (if it's a block).

Thanks.
There is no "6 month in the country rule". Rather, there is a rule that "continuous residence" for naturalization purposes is interrupted by an absence of 6 months or more (though for an absence of between 6 months and 1 year, the presumption that you interrupted "continuous residence" can be overcome with strong evidence of ties; for an absence of more than 1 year, it definitely interrupts "continuous residence"). You become a US permanent resident the moment you enter the US with your immigrant visa. You are eligible for naturalization if you have 5 years of "continuous residence" as a permanent resident. So if you don't interrupt "continuous residence", you are eligible for naturalization 5 years from the day you enter (you can submit the application up to 90 days before that). If you interrupt your "continuous residence", you have to start over counting again.

1) Do you need to have the physical green card in order to enter with a re-entry permit (after 1 year)? If I give the physical address at the POE, how long does it take for it to get delivered?
2) Is the re-entry permit good for multiple entries?
3) Do I need to apply for a SSN on my activation trip?

Last edited:
1) Do you need to have the physical green card in order to enter with a re-entry permit (after 1 year)? If I give the physical address at the POE, how long does it take for it to get delivered?
2) Is the re-entry permit good for multiple entries?
3) Do I need to apply for a SSN on my activation trip?

1. Following the expiration of the endorsed visa (temporary GC), physical GC will be required for admission with the re-entry permit. How long does what takes to get delivered? Re-entry permit? GC?
2. Yes
3. If the SSN doesn’t show up by 2 weeks after your entry, then you should go apply for it.

p.s. you do realize this thread is about re-entry permits? Asking questions not related to re-entry permits derails the thread.