Re-entry to US on grace period

sal.vay216

Hello,

I am a Canadian and had a TN Visa. My wife is a Moroccan who was living with me in the US on a TD visa. In Dec. 2021, I resigned and we both left to visit my wife's family in Morocco.

I had read that we have a grace period of 60 days after the resignation date for the TN and subsequently, TD to be completely inactive. Although my wife and I left the States after my resignation, my wife needs to re-enter to collect all of her belongings. The 60 day grace period would end in February 2022. Can she re-enter the US on the TD visa again, while still in the 60 day grace period?

Thank you in advance.

Your TN status ceases the moment you left the US, and you cannot re-enter the US on TN since you are not entering to work. Your wife cannot enter the US on TD if you are not in the US on TN.

The grace period also ceases when you leave. It is only for the purpose of staying in US a short time to arrange your affairs to leave, or to get another TN job.

However, you could ASK the officer to give you permission to enter as a B2 tourist (even though you may not have the required foreign residence yet) in order to clean up your affairs and leave. But that would be up to the officer.

Right, but the wife would not be able to enter on B2 since she is not a Canadian citizen and (I'm assuming) doesn't have a B2 visa. So the OP would have to do all the packing up himself.

Indeed, I was giving the additional information addressing B2 entry by the Cdn, which had not been offered as a possibility.