Re-entry Permit application during COVID | Can it be filed from India?

arjung

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am working in India for an Indian subsidiary of a USA Headquartered company.
My Re-entry permit expires on 20 Jun 2021.
My first re-entry permit was valid from Feb 2017 to Feb 2019, but I moved to India in Feb, 2018. (been working in the India for around 3 years and 1 months)
in 2019, I came to USA to file the I-131 Travel document. and came to USA again in few months later in 2019 for finger printing.

1. Considering Pandemic, can we I do the re-entry application process through a USA consulate in India?
  2. If not, do I need to come to USA 2 times like I did in 2019. First time to file the I-131 petition and second time to do the finger printing?
  3. Since I have been working in India for round 3 years and 1 months, when my re-entry permit get renewed, how much additional time I Will get? Is it the same 2 years?

Thanks,
Arjun Ganesh

1. No
2. Unless they decide your last biometrics are recent enough to reuse, yes
3. From the instructions for i131: “Generally, a Reentry Permit issued to a lawful permanent resident is valid for 2 years from the date of issuance. See 8 CFR section 223.3(a)(1). However, if you have been outside the United States for more than 4 of the last 5 years since becoming a lawful permanent resident, the permit will be limited to 1 year”

Susie, Thanks for your quick response.
1) Please confirm, to file my Re-entry permit, I-131, I have to travel to USA and file the application? or
Due to COVVID, Can I file the my Re-entry permit, I-131, application from India?
2) If I have to come to USA to file, My Re-entry permit expires on 20 Jun 2021. So as along as I arrive in the USA before Jun 20, 2021 I will be allowed to enter the US at the port of the entry. Then mail my application and then return to India rite?
3) Based on your point 2 in your above response
"2. Unless they decide your last biometrics are recent enough to reuse, yes"
If USCIS decides that my biometric taken in 2019 is enough to re-use, I will be sent the new re-entry permit directly to the USA address mentioned. I can ask my friend Living in the USA address to courier me the re-entry permit to my India address rite?

Thanks,
Arjun Ganesh

1. You have to file in the US. No exceptions.
2. Yes
3. You can do that or you can get them to send it to the nearest consulate to you in India for collection by you there.

Hi Susie,
Can you please explain if I can explore "Returning Resident (SB-1) immigrant visa" instead of Re-entry permit I-131 which I can apply at the nearest US consulate in India?

Hello All,
Due to rise of Covid cases, USA has put travel advisory on travels from India? My re-entry permit on 20 Jun 2021.
Please provide suggestions on how I can keep my green card valid (Expires on June 2025).

Hello,
What is the correct email address to contact USCIS? Not able to speak with a agent..been calling USICS call centre for 3 days +1800 375 5283