Re-entry for parent

sachbav

Folks, Moderators,

Please advise on my situation.

My parents were recently here on their 6 month visit to visit us and our soon-to-be-born son. (arrived Nov22 2009).
They left on May 15 2010 (so its almost been 3 weeks since they left) as per their I-94 validity. Although my mom insisted to extend and spend time with her grandson some more, We did not file any extension notice and tried to keep it simple.
Both are retired, senior citizens and now wish to visit again and spend time with the baby, ASAP.

Question : Is there a time limit to wait before I can arrange their visit again such as to not risk a denial, short stay or get harrased/questioned at POE ?

During this time upon entry, my dad got worked up when the officer kept asking why does he need to spend 6 months with his son, daughter in law (my kid wasn't born then) i.e its such a long time. He replied satisfactorily saying they are seeing us after almost 2 years and wish to spend time, travel.

Question: Can they simply mention that they wish to visit again and spend time with their grandkid, help us out etc. Or should they keep their answers non-personal ?

Question: In worst case scenario can they be denied entry ? If so do I get notified immediately or they are allowed to call my cell phone ? Are they put up in a waiting area etc .etc ? If any ideas.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks,
Sach

Another visit so soon after they left will not be viewed well by US immigration officer. They will appear to be either trying to live in the US on a visit visa or working illegally. The rule of thumb is that they should remain at their home for at least as long as they were here before they try to visit again. They may be granted a 6 month entry but then again they could be denied entry and have their visas revoked for abuse. This is likely to be an issue since you report that they had issues with their last entry. The same excuse that resulted in their last 6 month I-94 will not work again. You figure out if the risk of revocation of their visa is worth the visa abuse that they want to try.

If it is essential that they remain or visit often with you , you need to return to their home country since they have no legal right to spend so much time in the US as visitors.

( You need to suggest they find something productive to do with their time at home. If your mother wants to be around children, I am sure there are many children in her city who would benefit from a substitute grandmother.

One thing that is generally not considered is that if you are renting, you may be in violation of your lease and city occupancy ordinances by having them live with you for extended periods of time. Responsible landlords limit "guests" so as not to inconvenience other tenants and meet city requirements.)

Genuine visitors should never spend more than 6 months in the US during any rolling 12 month window. Emphasis on the word genuine.

Question : Is there a time limit to wait before I can arrange their visit again such as to not risk a denial, short stay or get harrased/questioned at POE ?