Re-entering with GC after being stuck overseas for 1.5 years

RhianaJohn

Hello. I’d like to ask for your knowledge and advice!

I’m a Japanese national married to an American citizen. I’ve had GC for 10 yrs.

At the beginning of pandemic (Oct 2021), we came to Turkey to live for 6 months. But we got stuck for the reasons of: the pandemic, my husband being sick, our cat being sick for many months, and rescuing 4 kittens and having to find adopters for them, which took 8 months.

it’s now been 1 year + 4 months since I left the US. I’d like to go back to the US with my GC I fully understand it’s better to go back ASAP, but I’d really like to stay here longer, if possible, for financial reasons.

Ideally, I don’t really want to go back until July 2022 (1 yr + 9 mo outside the US). I’m hoping CBP is a bit more lenient now because many people are stuck overseas due to the pandemic. If not, I can try to go back in March 2022 (1 yr + 6 mo outside the US), even though I prefer not to, again, for financial reasons.

If I get rejected at the border, I wouldn’t really know whether I should abandon my GC on the spot or fight in court. If I abandon my GC, then I’d go back to Japan and re-apply for it right away.

So, my questions are-

-given the pandemic and other reasons we couldn’t go back, how likely is it that I get rejected at the border if you were to enter at 1 year + 6 month mark vs 1 year + 9 month mark outside the country?

-How hard is it to win in court? I heard it’s extremely difficult to win in court. Is it necessary to hire a lawyer, and even if you did, are you still likely to lose?

-I’m aware that, if I re-apply for GC, it’d take about 1 year on average to get it. But would it make any difference that I’ve had my GC until very recently? Would someone like that be able to get the card more quickly given that the US government already has the updated and proven info about them?

Thank you so much!