re-entering the USA with green card and restraining order

CalGreenCard

Registered Users (C)
This is not a phase of my life I am proud of, but a little while back a dispute with a former friend escalated to the point where this person felt it necessary to take out a civil harassment restraining order against me. I have, of course, been abiding by the terms of the restraining order ever since, and this was purely a civil matter--I was never accused of, investigated for, or charged with any criminal activity. It was a civil harassment restraining order (NOT a domestic violence restraining order) and there have been no other legal complications arise. Also, I am NOT subject to any restrictions on owning firearms (although I do not own any firearms).

Also the restraining order was filed in a state other than my home state.

So my question is--I am a green card holder and soon I will need to travel internationally for the first time since the restraining order was put in place. I'm wondering what I may expect at the border. I know that a purely civil restraining order is not a bar to readmission, but I'm wondering what I might expect in terms of delays, etc.

Since getting the restraining order, I have been stopped by the police once for a speeding ticket, and changed jobs once with a background check being conducted--and I didn't have any problems either time (except, of course, getting the speeding ticket, but that was unrelated to the restraining order).

Thanks for the reply, namecheckvictim.

Now that I have traveled, let me just give the data point of what actually happened on my first trip out of the country since the restraining order has been in place: I got in without much trouble however I did get referred to secondary inspection. After a wait of about 15-20 minutes in secondary inspection, I was asked a few questions about the restraining order and then allowed through. The restraining order was definitely the reason for the secondary inspection because the officer mentioned the person who obtained the restraining order against me by name.

I'm just wondering what may happen in the future regarding secondary inspections related to this issue--will they be:

1. Occasionally (but not every entry)--apparently random
2. Until I become a U.S. citizen
3. Until the restraining order expires
4. For the rest of my life

I do understand that there may be consequences to having a restraining order against me--and I accept that. I'm just wondering what to expect.

I'd say occasionally until you become a US citizen is the best bet. If the person doing secondary noted your record you might not be harassed at all. Just do not violate the restraining order - that will put you in a lot of trouble.

I don't think this situation will change after the OP becomes the US citizen - the CBP is just as ready to harass their own citizens as the GC holders. I am more inclined to believe the secondary inspections will stop after the restraining order expires.

I don't think this situation will change after the OP becomes the US citizen - the CBP is just as ready to harass their own citizens as the GC holders. I am more inclined to believe the secondary inspections will stop after the restraining order expires.

The secondary inspection is tied with the name till that name is taken off the list depending on the reason of being in that list in the first place. It has nothing to do with being GC or citizen. I know citizen stopped for secondary inspection every time returning back from overseas trips